For small-business owners looking for a credit card with Delta benefits, the Delta SkyMiles® Platinum Business American Express Card may glide to the top of the list.
In the family of Delta AmEx business cards, it’s the middle option, offering valuable — and in some cases, hard-to-find — travel benefits for an annual fee of $250.
Here’s what you should know about this card.
1. The companion certificate could save you hundreds each year
Say you were buying round-trip tickets for you and a companion at $800 apiece, plus taxes and fees. If you redeemed this benefit, you wouldn’t have to drop north of $1,600 on that getaway; aside from paying the taxes and fees on the ticket (which are capped at $75), you’d essentially get your trip for half the price.
You can redeem this benefit for a round-trip ticket in the main cabin departing and arriving in the 48 contiguous United States. (There are exceptions to this rule for cardholders who live in Hawaii, Alaska, Puerto Rico or the U.S. Virgin Islands.) To do this, you need to book the same flights with your companion with the same times and dates and make the purchase using the Delta SkyMiles® Platinum Business American Express Card. You’ll get this benefit annually each year your card is renewed. Terms apply.
2. The card offers a path to elite status
Not all airline cards give you a way to reach elite status faster, but the Delta SkyMiles® Platinum Business American Express Card does by allowing you to earn Medallion Qualifying Miles, or MQMs, with your credit card spending. You get elite status on Delta by spending money with the airline and by flying. MQMs essentially count toward the “flying” part of the equation. You can qualify for the lowest tier of elite status, Silver, with 25,000 MQMs.
The card comes with an annual benefit called Status Boost. With this perk, you’ll get:
- 10,000 MQMs in any calendar year you make $25,000 or more in eligible purchases.
- Another 10,000 MQMs after making a total of $50,000 in eligible purchases in the same calendar year.
- Terms apply.
Keep in mind that these MQMs are not redeemable for award flights like regular SkyMiles; they count only toward status.
» MORE: Want a consumer card instead? Read NerdWallet’s comparison of consumer Delta credit cards.
3. Its ongoing rewards have gotten richer
You start with a rich welcome offer: Earn up to 100,000 bonus miles. Earn 80,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in the first 3 months. Plus, earn an additional 20,000 bonus miles after your first anniversary of Card Membership. Terms Apply.
The ongoing rewards on the Delta SkyMiles® Platinum Business American Express Card are as follows:
- 3 miles per dollar spent on purchases made directly with Delta.
- 3 miles per dollar spent on hotels.
- 1.5 miles per dollar spent on eligible purchases of $5,000 or more.
- 1 mile per eligible dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Terms apply.
That’s a step up from the card’s previous rewards structure, which was rather mundane. Before Jan. 30, 2020, you just earned 2 miles per dollar on purchases directly with Delta and 1 mile per dollar elsewhere.
For entrepreneurs who spend plenty on hotels and large purchases, these new rewards might be reason enough to use the card for something other than Delta tickets.
4. The card comes with travel benefits
The Delta SkyMiles® Platinum Business American Express Card also comes with the standard benefits cardholders have come to expect from co-branded airline cards. With it, you get:
- The first checked bag free for you and up to eight others on your reservation.
- Priority boarding, which allows you to get on the plane early.
- Credit for the application fee for TSA Precheck and Global Entry. You’re eligible for the credit once every four years for the application fee for Global Entry (currently $100) or every 4.5 years for TSA Precheck ($85) when you charge the fee to this card.
- No foreign transaction fees, which means you won’t be charged an extra percentage when making international purchases.
- Terms apply.
5. You’ll also get business-friendly features
Like all of AmEx’s business credit cards, the Delta SkyMiles® Platinum Business American Express Card features a suite of benefits designed for business owners, including:
- Spend Manager. This feature allows you to add receipts and notes to your transactions on desktop or mobile.
- Employee cards. There’s no fee for adding employee cards to your account. You can set individual spending limits on these cards and set up various alerts to monitor spending.
- Year-end summary. This report, typically available in January, will show purchases made on your account during the previous calendar year.
These features make it easy to track your company’s spending and can come in handy at tax time.