Hippo at a glance
- One of NerdWallet's top home insurance companies.
- Hippo's standard policy is more generous than competitors'.
- Available in 31 states.
Home insurance provider Hippo is one of a group of new insurance companies focused on making the industry more modern and efficient through technology. Getting a quote can take as little as about 60 seconds, and Hippo provides high-tech perks like a smart home monitoring system.
Hippo homeowners insurance
Hippo homeowners insurance earned 5 stars out of 5 for overall performance. NerdWallet’s ratings are determined by our editorial team. The scoring formula takes into account coverage and discounts, ease of filing a claim, website transparency, financial strength, complaint data from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners and more.
Hippo homeowners insurance pros and cons
|Very fast quotes||Tech focus might not appeal to everyone|
|Has standard coverage types most insurers do not||No bundling discount|
|Large number of optional coverage types|
About Hippo homeowners insurance
Hippo was founded in 2015 as part of a wave of startups focused on “insurtech,” or insurance technology. These companies try to make insurance more affordable for consumers and more profitable for insurers by handling many processes almost entirely online. To that end, Hippo features a streamlined website and a smart home monitoring system that preemptively diagnoses issues with your home.
Hippo offers policies through Spinnaker Insurance, a carrier it acquired in August 2020.
Hippo homeowners insurance coverage
All Hippo homeowners insurance offers standard coverage such as dwelling, personal property, loss of use and liability. Additionally, Hippo includes these other types of coverage as part of its standard package:
- Ordinance, in case updated building codes drive up repair costs.
- Domestic workers, if someone working at your home is injured on the property.
- Home office, if work equipment such as a cell phone or printer is damaged.
- Computers, if any personal computers or storage devices are damaged.
- Water backup, for damage caused by backup or overflow of water from drains or sewers.
- Jewelry and watches/valuables, for the theft of high-value items. Additional items beyond the coverage limit can also be added to your policy.
For an extra cost, some Hippo policies will allow you to add coverage for:
- Equipment breakdown, to help pay the costs of repairing or replacing electrical equipment.
- Service line, to help cover repair costs for lines such as electrical or sewer that come into your house from the street.
- Mortgage payment protection, which helps make your mortgage payment if you need to move out of your home while it’s being repaired.
Hippo homeowners insurance discounts
Hippo offers homeowners insurance discounts for:
- Early signing.
- New home.
- Smart home.
- No mortgage.
- Affinity group.
- Homeowners association (HOA).
- Fire extinguisher.
- Gated community.
- Wind loss prevention.
- Water leak detection device.
- Burglar alarm.
- Fire alarm.
- Smoke alarm.
- Internet provider.
- Home security.
Not all discounts apply in all states.
More about Hippo
Website: Hippo’s website can provide you with home insurance quotes. It also has articles outlining the basics of homeowners insurance and how it works. The company provides customer support via live chat, email and telephone, although claims are handled only over the phone.
States: Hippo homeowners insurance is available in the following states:
Other insurance: Hippo offers condo insurance in addition to homeowners policies.
HOMEOWNERS INSURANCE RATINGS METHODOLOGY
NerdWallet’s homeowners insurance ratings reward companies for customer-first features and practices. Ratings are based on weighted averages of scores in several categories, including financial strength, consumer complaints, coverages, discounts, online experience and more. These ratings are a guide, but we encourage you to shop around and compare several insurance quotes to find the best rate for you. NerdWallet does not receive compensation for any reviews. Read our editorial guidelines.