Austin is a tech hub, the state capital and home to the University of Texas. It’s no surprise that the city is growing rapidly. The surging population needs places to live, and plenty of mortgage companies are competing to help Austin home buyers realize the American dream.
NerdWallet is all about simplifying your search for the right mortgage lender for you. We have rounded up this list of national and regional mortgage lenders that we have reviewed and that do a lot of lending in Austin. In addition, we’ve listed some locally based lenders that we have not reviewed, but which do plenty of business in Austin.
NerdWallet recommends that you shop at least three mortgage lenders to increase your chances of getting a great deal on your home loan.
National and regional mortgage lenders in Austin
These lenders serve mortgage borrowers in most or all states, and they are among the most popular providers in Austin.
Ideal for those who appreciate the full-service experience of a leading regional bank. Flagstar offers a full menu of fixed and adjustable home loans and mortgage refinancing, as well as jumbo loans and home equity financing.
Ideal for borrowers who are looking to apply for a mortgage and manage the process through online tools, whether buying or refinancing. Guaranteed Rate offers FHA, VA and USDA loans for borrowers who are well-qualified.
Ideal for borrowers looking for help with closing costs: PrimeLending's proprietary program, NeighborhoodEdge, helps qualified low- to moderate-income borrowers with up to $2,000 in closing cost credits (certain restrictions are based on income and location).
Ideal for borrowers who prefer a traditional bank. Bank of America offers a wide array of mortgages and online account management tools. It also has first-time home buyer loans with low down payments and no mandatory mortgage insurance.
Ideal for borrowers who want lots of options and a quick turn time. Fairway Independent Mortgage offers a full selection of home loans along with a comprehensive mobile app for a fast and easy application process.
Ideal for first-time home buyers who want to talk to a loan officer in person or on the phone, and for homeowners who want to refinance their mortgages in 60 days or less. Chase offers a full line of mortgage products and account management tools.
Local mortgage lenders in Austin
These lenders are based in Austin, know the city well and are experienced in mortgage lending. They have not been reviewed by NerdWallet.
- Plenty of mortgage options from one of Austin’s busiest mortgage lenders.
- Offers an array of fixed-rate and adjustable-rate mortgages.
- Products include VA loans for active-duty military and veterans; Community Hero loans for teachers, firefighters, police officers and military; and Medical Community loans for doctors and nurses.
- Mortgage services from application to closing are handled by UFCU and not outsourced to a third party.
- Loans to buy land are available.
- Members may use a mobile app to begin the application process.
- Works with home buyers who want to participate in Texas’ home buyer assistance programs.
- Participates in Texas bond programs to provide down payment assistance as well as tax credits.
- Conventional loans with minimum 3% down payment and minimum credit score 620.
- Offers FHA loans with minimum 620 credit score and VA loans, which don’t require a down payment.
- Offers borrowers a wide choice of mortgage programs from a homegrown lender.
- Offers fixed-rate, adjustable-rate, VA, USDA, FHA, jumbo and construction loans.
- You can start the application online and track the mortgage status.
- Click to schedule a call from a loan officer if you prefer to speak to someone before or during application.
- Options for home buyers and refinancers who want to get a mortgage from a local credit union.
- Offers 15- and 30-year fixed-rate loans and 5/5 and 10/10 ARMs.
- Down payments on fixed-rate loans as low as 5%.
- Apply for a mortgage pre-qualification online in English or Spanish.
- Join by making a one-time $10 payment to the A+ Education Foundation or being affiliated with a qualifying school, business or organization.
Best Austin mortgage lenders: summary
- Quicken Loans: Best for mortgage refinances.
- Flagstar Bank: Best for mortgage refinances.
- loanDepot: Best for FHA mortgages.
- Guaranteed Rate: Best for online experience.
- PrimeLending: Best for VA loans.
- Bank of America: Best for jumbo loans.
- Caliber: Best for VA loans.
- Fairway Independent: Best for online experience.
- Chase: Best for jumbo loans.
- Guild Mortgage: Best for FHA mortgages.
- University Federal Credit Union: Top Austin mortgage lender.
- Capstar Lending: Top Austin mortgage lender.
- Sente Mortgage: Top Austin mortgage lender.
- A+ Federal Credit Union: Top Austin mortgage lender.
More from NerdWallet