NerdWallet offers financial tools and advice to help you understand your options and make the best possible decisions. The guidance we offer and information we provide are deeply researched, objective and independent.
We spent over 400 hours reviewing the top mortgage lenders before selecting the best for our readers. We’ve picked at least two lenders in several "best of" categories to help you find a lender that meets your needs.
The over 9,000 square miles of the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex — the second-largest land area of the top 20 most-populated cities in the U.S. — is home to hundreds of banks, credit unions, mortgage lenders and savings institutions. To get the best terms on a home loan, NerdWallet recommends you shop at least three.
To get the Texas-sized financial marketplace of DFW a bit more manageable, we’ve herded the best mortgage lenders by category, then corralled the results by national and local lenders.
National and regional mortgage lenders in Dallas-Fort Worth
These national brands underwrite a lot of mortgages in North Texas. Here are top-rated lenders in different lending categories.
Best Dallas-Fort Worth mortgage lenders that are traditional banks
Shopping for a home loan where you do your day-to-day banking is an obvious choice. These leading banks offer a full range of mortgage products.
- You can begin the mortgage process in a nearby branch, in person or online.
- Offers fixed, adjustable, jumbo, FHA and VA mortgage options.
- Existing Chase customers can get fee discounts.
- Chase Mortgage review
- Borrowers have access to a full suite of online and mobile tools — and face-to-face service in local banking centers.
- Offers a first-time home buyer loan program with no mandatory mortgage insurance.
- Minimum credit score: 620 (FHA: 600).
- Bank of America mortgage review
Best Dallas-Fort Worth mortgage lenders for online convenience
Stuck in traffic on the LBJ? Pull over and start a mortgage application on your phone until the traffic clears. These lenders know how that works.
- A fully digital home loan experience with a large variety of mortgage products.
- Users can easily upload financial details and get a loan decision in minutes.
- Explains the application process step by step with help as you go.
- Rocket Mortgage review
- Your loan application is likely to start by phone; most technology upgrades have been behind the scenes.
- The number of loan products offered nearly rival those available at banks.
- Well-rated for low customer complaint volume according to CFPB data.
- loanDepot review
Best Dallas-Fort Worth mortgage lenders for customer service
These top-rated lenders offer innovative products and services for Dallas-Fort Worth borrowers.
- Free “float down” interest rate option lets borrowers choose the lower rate if interest rates fall, even with a rate lock.
- Niche mortgage products include energy-efficient mortgages, FHA 203(k) renovation and remodeling loans, manufactured home mortgages and home construction loans.
- Low rate of consumer complaints filed with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.
- PrimeLending review
- Close in as little as 10 days using the FairwayNow mobile app.
- Rated among the highest in J.D. Power mortgage origination satisfaction survey.
- Offers 24/7 online loan administration portal, as well as assistance via a mobile app, call center or email.
- Fairway Independent Mortgage review
Best Dallas-Fort Worth mortgage lenders for first-time home buyers
If this is your first home loan, you might appreciate dealing with a lender who knows the first-time-buyer ropes. These lenders rise to the top.
- Helps eligible borrowers find state housing finance assistance programs.
- Offers Federal Housing Administration, Veterans Affairs and U.S. Department of Agriculture loans.
- Services, or collects, all of the loans it originates, helping to maintain long-term relationships with borrowers.
- Guild Mortgage review
- Borrowers can qualify with rental payments, utility bills and other nontraditional credit sources.
- Embraces FHA loans, which can help first-time home buyers with low down payments and relaxed lending standards.
- Offers three construction loan products.
- Flagstar Bank review
Best Dallas-Fort Worth mortgage lenders for government-backed loans
The low down payments and favorable terms of government-backed loans (such as FHA, VA and USDA loans) are available through program-approved lenders like these.
- Offers government-backed loans to borrowers with a minimum 550 credit score.
- Loan amounts as low as $50,000.
- FHA 203(k) loans can wrap renovation costs into a mortgage.
- HomeBridge Financial Services review
- Specializes in VA-backed loans, which account for about two-thirds of mortgage volume.
- The VA Interest Rate Reduction Refinance Loan (IRRRL) has no origination fee, and USAA covers the appraisal, title and VA funding fee.
- Document uploads and e-sign are available.
- USAA Mortgage Loans review
Local mortgage lenders in Dallas-Fort Worth
If you want to include a local lender or two in your search for the best mortgage, these Dallas-Fort Worth lenders are among the highest-volume mortgage makers in the city. The following lenders have not been reviewed by NerdWallet.
Best Dallas-Fort Worth mortgage lenders: Summary
Chase: Best Dallas-Fort Worth mortgage lenders that are traditional banks.
Bank of America: Best Dallas-Fort Worth mortgage lenders that are traditional banks.
Rocket Mortgage: Best Dallas-Fort Worth mortgage lenders for online convenience.
loanDepot: Best Dallas-Fort Worth mortgage lenders for online convenience.
PrimeLending: Best Dallas-Fort Worth mortgage lenders for customer service.
Fairway Independent Mortgage: Best Dallas-Fort Worth mortgage lenders for customer service.
Guild Mortgage: Best Dallas-Fort Worth mortgage lenders for first-time home buyers.
Flagstar Bank: Best Dallas-Fort Worth mortgage lenders for first-time home buyers.
Homebridge: Best Dallas-Fort Worth mortgage lenders for government-backed loans.
USAA: Best Dallas-Fort Worth mortgage lenders for government-backed loans.
Supreme Lending: Top local mortgage lenders in Dallas-Fort Worth.
First United: Top local mortgage lenders in Dallas-Fort Worth.
DHI Mortgage: Top local mortgage lenders in Dallas-Fort Worth.
Cendera Funding: Top local mortgage lenders in Dallas-Fort Worth.
More from NerdWallet