The over 9,000 square miles of the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex — the second-largest land area of the top 20 most-populated cities in the U.S. — is home to hundreds of banks, credit unions, mortgage lenders and savings institutions. To get the best terms on a home loan, NerdWallet recommends you shop at least three.
To get the Texas-sized financial marketplace of DFW a bit more manageable, we’ve herded the best mortgage lenders by category, then corralled the results by national and local lenders.
National and regional mortgage lenders in Dallas-Fort Worth
These national brands underwrite a lot of mortgages in North Texas. Here are top-rated lenders in different lending categories.
Best Dallas-Fort Worth mortgage lenders that are traditional banks
Shopping for a home loan where you do your day-to-day banking is an obvious choice. These leading banks offer a full range of mortgage products.
- You can begin the mortgage process in a nearby branch, in person or online.
- Offers fixed, adjustable, jumbo, FHA and VA mortgage options.
- Existing Chase customers can get fee discounts.
- Chase Mortgage review
- Borrowers have access to a full suite of online and mobile tools — and face-to-face service in local banking centers.
- Offers a first-time home buyer loan program with no mandatory mortgage insurance.
- Minimum credit score: 620 (FHA: 600).
- Bank of America mortgage review
Best Dallas-Fort Worth mortgage lenders for online convenience
Stuck in traffic on the LBJ? Pull over and start a mortgage application on your phone until the traffic clears. These lenders know how that works.
- A fully digital home loan experience with a large variety of mortgage products.
- Users can easily upload financial details and get a loan decision in minutes.
- Explains the application process step by step with help as you go.
- Rocket Mortgage review
- Your loan application is likely to start by phone; most technology upgrades have been behind the scenes.
- The number of loan products offered nearly rival those available at banks.
- Well-rated for low customer complaint volume according to CFPB data.
- loanDepot review
Best Dallas-Fort Worth mortgage lenders for customer service
These top-rated lenders offer innovative products and services for Dallas-Fort Worth borrowers.
- Free “float down” interest rate option lets borrowers choose the lower rate if interest rates fall, even with a rate lock.
- Niche mortgage products include energy-efficient mortgages, FHA 203(k) renovation and remodeling loans, manufactured home mortgages and home construction loans.
- Low rate of consumer complaints filed with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.
- PrimeLending review
- Close in as little as 10 days using the FairwayNow mobile app.
- Rated among the highest in J.D. Power mortgage origination satisfaction survey.
- Offers 24/7 online loan administration portal, as well as assistance via a mobile app, call center or email.
- Fairway Independent Mortgage review
Best Dallas-Fort Worth mortgage lenders for first-time home buyers
If this is your first home loan, you might appreciate dealing with a lender who knows the first-time-buyer ropes. These lenders rise to the top.
- Helps eligible borrowers find state housing finance assistance programs.
- Offers Federal Housing Administration, Veterans Affairs and U.S. Department of Agriculture loans.
- Services, or collects, all of the loans it originates, helping to maintain long-term relationships with borrowers.
- Guild Mortgage review
- Borrowers can qualify with rental payments, utility bills and other nontraditional credit sources.
- Embraces FHA loans, which can help first-time home buyers with low down payments and relaxed lending standards.
- Offers three construction loan products.
- Flagstar Bank review
Best Dallas-Fort Worth mortgage lenders for government-backed loans
The low down payments and favorable terms of government-backed loans (such as FHA, VA and USDA loans) are available through program-approved lenders like these.
- Offers government-backed loans to borrowers with a minimum 550 credit score.
- Loan amounts as low as $50,000.
- FHA 203(k) loans can wrap renovation costs into a mortgage.
- Homebridge Financial Services review
- Specializes in VA-backed loans, which account for about two-thirds of mortgage volume.
- The VA Interest Rate Reduction Refinance Loan (IRRRL) has no origination fee, and USAA covers the appraisal, title and VA funding fee.
- Document uploads and e-sign are available.
- USAA Mortgage Loans review
Local mortgage lenders in Dallas-Fort Worth
If you want to include a local lender or two in your search for the best mortgage, these Dallas-Fort Worth lenders are among the highest-volume mortgage makers in the city. The following lenders have not been reviewed by NerdWallet.
Best Dallas-Fort Worth mortgage lenders: Summary
Chase: Best Dallas-Fort Worth mortgage lenders that are traditional banks.
Bank of America: Best Dallas-Fort Worth mortgage lenders that are traditional banks.
Rocket Mortgage: Best Dallas-Fort Worth mortgage lenders for online convenience.
loanDepot: Best Dallas-Fort Worth mortgage lenders for online convenience.
PrimeLending: Best Dallas-Fort Worth mortgage lenders for customer service.
Fairway Independent Mortgage: Best Dallas-Fort Worth mortgage lenders for customer service.
Guild Mortgage: Best Dallas-Fort Worth mortgage lenders for first-time home buyers.
Flagstar Bank: Best Dallas-Fort Worth mortgage lenders for first-time home buyers.
Homebridge: Best Dallas-Fort Worth mortgage lenders for government-backed loans.
USAA: Best Dallas-Fort Worth mortgage lenders for government-backed loans.
Supreme Lending: Top local mortgage lenders in Dallas-Fort Worth.
First United: Top local mortgage lenders in Dallas-Fort Worth.
DHI Mortgage: Top local mortgage lenders in Dallas-Fort Worth.
Cendera Funding: Top local mortgage lenders in Dallas-Fort Worth.
More from NerdWallet