The best home equity loan lenders have an efficient application process, explain loan options clearly and tailor their services to the varying needs of individual borrowers. NerdWallet has reviewed the leading lenders in the nation, and we’ve found some of the standout home equity lenders in various borrower categories.
Consider your home equity loan needs and then shop the lenders below, confident that they’re among the best.
Best home equity loan lenders
Best home equity loan lenders for a line of credit
Home equity lines of credit, or HELOCs, offer the convenience of drawing on your home’s equity only as you need it.
Best cash-out refinance lenders
A cash-out refi can be a solid alternative to home equity lines of credit, and you’ll often find it offered with a lower, fixed interest rate. Below are two cash-out refinance lenders, but be sure to review our entire list of the best cash-out refinance lenders.
Ideal for borrowers who are looking to apply for a mortgage and manage the process through online tools, whether buying or refinancing. Guaranteed Rate offers FHA, VA and USDA loans for borrowers who meet robust guidelines.
Best home equity loan lenders: summary
- Best for face-to-face service: U.S. Bank
- Best for face-to-face service: CitiMortgage
- Best for service members and veterans: PenFed Credit Union
- Best for service members and veterans: Navy Federal
- Best for home equity lines of credit: PNC Mortgage
- Best for home equity lines of credit: SunTrust
- Best for online experience: BB&T Home Mortgage
- Best for online experience: loanDepot
- Best for financial flexibility features: Flagstar Bank
- Best for financial flexibility features: Connexus
- Best cash-out refinance lenders: Lenda
- Best cash-out refinance lenders: Guaranteed Rate