Houston mortgage lenders serve a wide range of borrowers: first-time home buyers snagging a condo in the walkable EaDo, commuting suburbanites in The Woodlands or out in Sugar Land or Katy. And H-Town lenders also cater to the pricey ground for sale inside the loop, such as River Oaks.
NerdWallet vetted the capabilities of Houston mortgage companies in various categories. And we found some top-producing local lenders for your consideration.
NerdWallet’s best Houston mortgage lenders
Ideal for first-time home buyers who want to talk to a loan officer in person or on the phone, and for homeowners who want to refinance their mortgages in 60 days or less. Chase offers a full line of mortgage products and account management tools.
Ideal for those who appreciate the full-service experience of a leading regional bank. Flagstar offers a full menu of fixed and adjustable home loans and mortgage refinancing, as well as jumbo loans and home equity financing.
Ideal for borrowers who prefer a traditional bank. Bank of America offers a wide array of mortgages and online account management tools. It also has first-time home buyer loans with low down payments and no mandatory mortgage insurance.
Ideal for borrowers looking for help with closing costs: PrimeLending's proprietary program, NeighborhoodEdge, helps qualified low- to moderate-income borrowers with up to $2,000 in closing cost credits (certain restrictions are based on income and location).
Ideal for borrowers who want lots of options and a quick turn time. Fairway Independent Mortgage offers a full selection of home loans along with a comprehensive mobile app for a fast and easy application process.
» MORE: Compare Houston mortgage rates
Local mortgage lenders in Houston
If you want to include a local lender or two in your search for the best mortgage, these Houston lenders are among the highest-volume mortgage providers in the city, though they have not been reviewed by NerdWallet.
- About a dozen offices in the Houston metro area.
- Complete an online form to pre-qualify.
- An app allows you to upload documents, check your loan status and even search for homes.
- Specializes in jumbo loans in the Houston area.
- A large selection of home loans, including construction and agriculture mortgages.
- Offers home equity lines of credit and loans.
- Texas-born in 2002, with headquarters in Houston and offices in more than 30 states.
- Online, you can choose a “Quick Start” option or take about 15 minutes to complete a full pre-qualification.
- A no-credit-score mortgage option is available, as well as bank statement programs and government-backed loans.
- Nearly 20 loan officers in its north Houston office.
- A digital mortgage gateway allows you to complete pre-qual information in as little as 10 minutes.
- The broad selection of loans includes conventional, government-backed, renovation and even reverse mortgages.
Best Houston mortgage lenders: Summary
- Quicken Loans: Best for customer service.
- Chase: Best for in-person service.
- Flagstar Bank: Best for full-service experience.
- Bank of America: Best among traditional banks.
- loanDepot: Best for customer service.
- Caliber Home Loans: Best for VA borrowers.
- PrimeLending: Best for closing costs assistance.
- USAA: Best for VA borrowers.
- Fairway: Best for mobile experience.
- Homebridge: Best for wide selection of loan products.
- Cornerstone Home Lending: Top Houston mortgage lender.
- Zions Bank: Top Houston mortgage lender.
- AmCap: Top Houston mortgage lender.
- Eagle Home Mortgage: Top Houston mortgage lender.
More from NerdWallet