NerdWallet offers financial tools and advice to help you understand your options and make the best possible decisions. The guidance we offer and information we provide are deeply researched, objective and independent.
We spent over 400 hours reviewing the top mortgage lenders before selecting the best for our readers. We’ve picked at least two lenders in several "best of" categories to help you find a lender that meets your needs.
Whether you’re looking for a home in South Bend or Kokomo, mortgage shopping requires research. NerdWallet has done the groundwork to help you make the right decision.
Here are some of the top lenders and the areas they excel in, such as working with first-time home buyers, helping borrowers with lower credit scores, offering the convenience of online lending and providing face-to-face support.
Best Indiana mortgage lenders for first-time home buyers
These companies have the loans and the expertise to help first-timers find a mortgage.
- Largest Federal Housing Administration lender in the nation
- Third-largest lender in Indiana, based on loan origination volume
- Minimum credit score of 620 (580 for FHA loans)
- Quicken Loans review
- No application or origination fees
- Closes loans in 28 days on average
- Expertise in nontraditional credit lending
- SoFi review
Best Indiana lenders for refinancing
These lenders understand refinancing and offer conforming and jumbo mortgages.
- Apply for and track a mortgage application completely online
- Wide range of loans, including fixed- and adjustable-rate purchase and refinance loans
- Customer support offered in branch locations, by online chat and phone
- SunTrust review
- Digital platform lets you pick a lower rate, shorter term or lower payments when refinancing
- Applying online takes around 15 minutes
- Offers FHA, USDA, VA loans
- Guaranteed Rate review
Best Indiana mortgage lenders for borrowers with lower credit
These lenders specialize in working with home buyers who have lower credit scores.
- Minimum credit score of 580 for VA and FHA, 620 for conventional mortgages
- Works with down payment assistance and grant programs
- Manual underwriting gives more flexibility in evaluating applicants
- New American Funding review
- Offers conventional, VA, USDA, FHA mortgages and ARMs
- Most loan fees are $299
- Minimum credit score of 580 for FHA and VA, 620 for conventional loans
- J.G. Wentworth review
Best Indiana mortgage lenders for face-to-face support
Lenders with branches around the state offer borrowers a chance to talk in person with a representative.
- Mortgage bankers available to talk at the branch or over the phone
- Minimum credit score of 620, higher on certain loan products
- A 3% down payment option with a minimum credit score of 680
- Chase Mortgage review
- Get support from branches, 24/7 online loan portal, mobile app, call center and email
- Quick loan application and tracking on FairwayNow mobile app
- Offers ARMs and fixed-rate conventional FHA, USDA and VA loans
- Fairway Independent Mortgage review
Best online mortgage lenders in Indiana
These companies offer user-friendly digital application forms and quick application processes.
- Fully online lender with loan approvals delivered in minutes
- Full range of conventional and government loans (VA, USDA and FHA), as well as refinance products
- Loan officers are available with a click
- Rocket Mortgage review
- Offers an entirely digital mortgage refinance application
- Average closing time of 28 days
- Considers nontraditional credit history
- SoFi review
Best Indiana mortgage lenders: summary
- Quicken Loans: First-time home buyers
- SoFi: First-time home buyers
- SunTrust Mortgage: Refinancing
- Guaranteed Rate: Refinancing
- New American Funding: Lower credit
- J.G. Wentworth: Lower credit
- Chase Mortgage: Face-to-face borrowing
- Fairway Independent Mortgage: Face-to-face borrowing
- Rocket Mortgage: Online lending
- SoFi: Online lending
More from NerdWallet: