NerdWallet offers financial tools and advice to help you understand your options and make the best possible decisions. The guidance we offer and information we provide are deeply researched, objective and independent.
We spent over 400 hours reviewing the top mortgage lenders before selecting the best for our readers. We’ve picked at least two lenders in several "best of" categories to help you find a lender that meets your needs.
Maryland is a tiny state that punches well above its weight — it ranks among the wealthiest states in the nation. Buying a home here can be a pricey proposition, especially in the suburbs of Washington, D.C. But from Cumberland to the Chesapeake Bay, wherever you want to call home, you’ll want a trusted lender by your side.
NerdWallet has examined the leading lenders in Maryland to help you find a home loan source in numerous mortgage categories.
Best Maryland mortgage lenders for online experience
Getting a home loan from an online lender can streamline the process. We’ve picked two of your best options for a mortgage in Maryland.
- Offers a user-friendly and fully online mortgage loan process
- Many details, such as employment and asset verification, are completed online
- Tells you the loan amount you’ll qualify for within minutes
- Rocket Mortgage review
- Offers a unique feature: A LoanDepot versus competitors’ interest rate comparison page
- Investing in technology upgrades to improve the user experience
- One of the few nonbank lenders to offer a home equity loan
- LoanDepot review
Best Maryland mortgage lenders for refinancing
You’ll face a lot of options when refinancing — cashing-out, extending or shortening your loan term, choosing a fixed rate or ARM. These lenders can help.
- A top-5 loan-volume originator in Maryland
- Offers a custom loan program with more flexible financing for licensed medical professionals
- Refinances Federal Housing Administration, Department of Veterans Affairs and U.S. Department of Agriculture-backed loans
- SunTrust mortgage review
Best Maryland mortgage lenders for first-time home buyers
If you’re ready to leave renting behind, these home loan specialists can guide you through the paperwork maze.
- Offers FHA loans and entry-level conventional loans that use 620 or higher FICO credit score
- Assists borrowers in finding state bond programs for first-time homebuyers and income-limited households
- Options include all government-backed loans, such as FHA, VA and USDA rural housing loans
- Flagstar Bank review
- VA mortgages use an underwriting model that allows greater lending flexibility
- Many first-time home buyers turn to VA loans because they require no down payment
- Requires some affiliation with the armed forces or Defense Department, or a relative’s membership
- Navy Federal Mortgage review
Best Maryland mortgage lenders for government-backed mortgages
Government-backed loans can reduce — or eliminate — the need for a down payment. Here are lenders who specialize in FHA, VA and USDA mortgages.
- Nearly two-thirds of loans are backed by the VA
- Like a credit union, USAA is owned by its members
- A single point of contact guides the initial loan process
- USAA Mortgage Loans review
- Offers loans backed by the FHA, VA and the USDA
- Qualified customers may receive up to $2,000 in closing cost credits
- Offers energy-efficient mortgages and FHA 203(k) renovation and remodeling loans
- PrimeLending review
Best Maryland mortgage lenders for jumbo home loan borrowers
These lenders are competitive jumbo loan lenders, have a national presence and garner high marks for customer service.
- Offers an online application process with secure document uploads and electronic signing
- Claims a 95% customer satisfaction rating
- Has 170 branches nationwide if you need in-person customer service
- Guaranteed Rate review
- Offers a full menu of jumbo loans and other mortgages for virtually any financial need
- You can create an account to upload documents, download loan disclosures, e-sign and more
- Existing bank customers might qualify for reduced fees
- Bank of America mortgage review
Best Maryland mortgage lenders: summary
- Rocket Mortgage: Best for online experience
- LoanDepot: Best for online experience
- SunTrust: Best for refinancing
- PNC Mortgage: Best for refinancing
- Flagstar Bank: Best for first-time home buyers
- Navy Federal: Best for first-time home buyers
- USAA: Best for government-backed mortgages
- PrimeLending: Best for government-backed mortgages
- Guaranteed Rate: Best for jumbo home loans
- Bank of America: Best for jumbo home loans