NerdWallet offers financial tools and advice to help you understand your options and make the best possible decisions. The guidance we offer and information we provide are deeply researched, objective and independent.
We spent over 400 hours reviewing the top mortgage lenders before selecting the best for our readers. We’ve picked at least two lenders in several "best of" categories to help you find a lender that meets your needs.
Michigan mortgage lenders fund home loans for a broad mix of buyers. Whether you’re a couple looking for a small coastal cottage on the Great Lakes or a growing family putting down roots in Detroit, Michigan offers some of the best lifestyles in the Midwest.
NerdWallet has researched the leading mortgage lenders in Michigan to create a go-to guide of the best in several borrower categories.
Best Michigan mortgage lenders for refinancing
These lenders have deep benches of mortgage experts who can deploy a variety of loan products to help you improve your mortgage rate or lower your payment.
- The online refinance process lets you choose what’s important to you: lower payments, a lower rate or a shorter term
- The online application process takes about 15 minutes
- You can earn a $250 fee credit for completing the digital mortgage application
- Guaranteed Rate review
Best Michigan mortgage lenders for first-time home buyers
Buying your first home requires a guiding hand, knowledgeable advice and the right loan. These lenders are among the best at all three.
- Helps borrowers find state bond programs for first-time home buyers and income-limited households
- A substantial network of more than 1,000 brokers and agents across the nation
- FHA loans and some entry-level conventional loans use a benchmark 620 or better FICO credit score
- Flagstar Bank review
- Qualified customers may receive up to $2,000 in closing cost credits
- Minimum credit score of 600 on FHA loans
- Has a low ratio of consumer complaints registered with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau
- PrimeLending review
Best Michigan mortgage lenders for online experience
Getting a mortgage online or with a smartphone app is easier than ever. These lenders are leaders in mortgage process technology.
- A fully online mortgage loan process
- Employment and asset verification can be completed online
- Loan decisions are generated within minutes
- Rocket Mortgage review
- Continuing technology upgrades are improving the customer experience
- A rate comparison page offers head-to-head shopping with competitors
- 180 affiliated loan stores nationwide for face-to-face assistance
- LoanDepot review
Best Michigan mortgage lenders for government mortgages
Not every lender deals in government-backed loans like FHA, VA and USDA mortgages. We’ve found a couple best-rated lenders that embrace them.
- Nearly two-thirds of its loans are backed by the VA
- Minimum credit score 620
- Highly rated for customer service
- USAA Mortgage Loans review
- The largest Federal Housing Administration lender in the nation
- Also the largest lender in Michigan, based on loan origination volume
- Tells you the loan amount you’ll qualify for within minutes
- Quicken Loans review
Best Michigan mortgage lenders for home equity borrowers
Accessing your home’s value without selling it can unlock tremendous financial flexibility. These lenders are highly rated for Michigan borrowers.
- Chase’s home equity line of credit comes with a fixed-rate option that can cover up to 20 years of the repayment period
- Offers electronic submission and tracking of documents
- Discounts available for existing Chase customers
- Chase Mortgage review
- Has a wide array of home equity products to meet virtually any financial need
- Home Loan Navigator, an online mortgage portal, allows you to stay plugged in throughout the lending process
- Existing bank customers might qualify for a reduction in fees
- Bank of America mortgage review
Best Michigan mortgage lenders: summary
- Guaranteed Rate: Best for refinancing borrowers
- PNC Mortgage: Best for refinancing borrowers
- Flagstar Bank: Best for first-time home buyers
- PrimeLending: Best for first-time home buyers
- Rocket Mortgage: Best for online experience
- LoanDepot: Best for online experience
- USAA: Best for government-backed mortgages
- Quicken Loans: Best for government-backed mortgages
- Chase: Best for home equity borrowers
- Bank of America: Best for home equity borrowers