NerdWallet offers financial tools and advice to help you understand your options and make the best possible decisions. The guidance we offer and information we provide are deeply researched, objective and independent.
We spent over 400 hours reviewing the top mortgage lenders before selecting the best for our readers. We’ve picked at least two lenders in several "best of" categories to help you find a lender that meets your needs.
If you’re looking for a Minnesota mortgage lender, you’ve come to the right place.
NerdWallet compared the leading home loan providers in the Land of 10,000 Lakes, then chose the top contenders for a variety of specific mortgage needs.
Whether you’re dreaming of owning a condo in Minneapolis or a classic ranch in Duluth, or if you want to refinance your existing home in Bloomington, these lenders are a solid place to start mortgage shopping.
Best online mortgage lenders in Minnesota
These lenders offer mobile-enhanced websites and automated mortgage-application processes to make things convenient.
- Offers a variety of purchase, refinance and home equity loans
- Is rolling out an $80 million technology upgrade
- Gives discounts and reimbursements for certain closing costs to repeat refinance customers
- LoanDepot mortgage review
- Licensed in all 50 states, Washington, D.C., Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands
- Operates as a mortgage marketplace that gives you access to multiple lenders in one place
- Has a robust, mobile-enhanced website that automates the mortgage application process
- Costco mortgage review
Best Minnesota mortgage lenders for first-time home buyers
These lenders embrace government-backed loan programs with relaxed qualification requirements to help make your first home a reality.
- Offers a closing-cost-assistance program and is willing to consider alternative credit
- Has a variety of mortgage loan products, including government-backed loans, and an easy online application and portal
- Lends to borrowers in all 50 states and has branch offices in all but a handful
- PrimeLending review
- Provides FHA, VA and USDA loans
- Fairway app lets borrowers close a mortgage in as few as 10 days
- Adjustable-rate mortgages offered at over 250 local offices
- Fairway Independent Mortgage review
Best Minnesota mortgage lenders for veterans
These Minnesota lenders specialize in serving those who serve in the military, offering VA loans that usually require zero down payment.
- With Department of Veterans Affairs loans, credit score standards are less stringent
- Considers “after the bills are paid” income, rather than just a debt-to-income ratio
- You’ll need military service to qualify
- Veterans United review
- Licensed in 50 states, with a wide range of affordable mortgage products for military members
- Underwriting model allows greater loan flexibility
- Willing to look at rent, utility and cell phone payments in evaluating eligibility
- Navy Federal Mortgage review
Best Minnesota mortgage lenders for a low down payment
Buying a home doesn’t always require a giant down payment. Programs offered through these lenders could get you qualified with as little as 3% down.
- Finds state bond programs for first-time home buyers and limited-income households
- Embraces FHA-backed home loans
- Offers a full menu of fixed- and adjustable-rate home loans and refinancing
- Flagstar Bank review
- All government loans (FHA, VA and USDA) available
- Automated process imports employment and income data, credit scores, property information and more
- Gives a loan decision in minutes
- Rocket Mortgage review
Best Minnesota mortgage lenders for a refinance
If you love your current home but want to drop your mortgage insurance or get a better interest rate, refinancing with these lenders could be the solution.
- A full complement of mortgage products for buying and refinancing
- The largest FHA lender in the nation
- Rocket Mortgage, from Quicken Loans, allows completion of the mortgage process entirely online
- Quicken Loans review
- A wide array of mortgage purchase and refinance products to meet virtually any financial need
- A physician loan program assists doctors who are short on a down payment but have strong earning potential
- Current bank customers might qualify for reduced fees
- Bank of America mortgage review
Best Minnesota mortgage lenders: summary
- LoanDepot: Best online experience
- Costco: Best online experience
- PrimeLending: Best for first-time home buyers
- Fairway: Best for first-time home buyers
- Veterans United: Best for veterans
- Navy Federal: Best for veterans
- Flagstar Bank: Best for low down payment
- Rocket Mortgage: Best for low down payment
- Quicken Loans: Best for refinancing
- Bank of America: Best for refinancing
More from NerdWallet