NerdWallet offers financial tools and advice to help you understand your options and make the best possible decisions. The guidance we offer and info we provide are deeply researched, objective and independent.
We spent over 400 hours reviewing the top mortgage lenders before selecting the best for our readers. We’ve picked at least two lenders for five 'best of' categories to help you find the lender that best meets your needs.
If you’re shopping for a mortgage in a high-cost area or buying a large and expensive home, you may be looking for a jumbo loan — one that’s too big to fit Fannie Mae’s and Freddie Mac’s requirements.
If you’re in the market for a jumbo mortgage, it’s essential to choose a lender with experience dealing with the special requirements of jumbo loans.
NerdWallet has picked some of the best mortgage lenders for borrowers looking for a jumbo loan in a variety of categories so you can quickly determine which one is right for you.
Best online jumbo mortgage lenders
These lenders offer some of the best online mortgage experiences for the jumbo borrower who’s looking for a fast, automated way to get a home loan.
- Provides a completely online jumbo loan experience, including a mobile app for application and loan tracking
- Automatic online salary and financial-detail verification shortens and simplifies the process
- Gives a loan decision in minutes
- Rocket Mortgage review
- Online specialist offers jumbo purchase and refinance mortgages with no origination or broker fees
- Minimum 620 credit score qualification
- Automated suggestion engine helps find the lowest possible rate for borrowers
- Lenda review
Best jumbo mortgage lenders for borrowers with nontraditional credit histories
These lenders will use measures such as rental payments, salary and other financial indicators to assess jumbo borrower finances.
- This jumbo specialist was among the first to offer a complete digital platform
- Offers a variety of mortgage products, including jumbo and interest-only loans
- Expert at nontraditional-credit lending
- SoFi Mortgage review
- Uses manual underwriting to evaluate borrowers, which allows more flexibility to approve loans
- Offers a broad range of loans, including jumbo, fixed-rate, ARMs and refinancing
- Has branch locations across the U.S., except New York and Hawaii
- New American Funding review
Best overall jumbo loan mortgage lenders
These lenders are experienced jumbo loan lenders, with a national presence, branches throughout the country and competent customer service.
- One of the largest banks in the world, with branches around the country
- Offers a range of jumbo and other mortgage loans to meet most homebuying needs
- Create an account to upload documents, download loan disclosures, e-sign and more
- Bank of America review
- Experienced jumbo mortgage lender with high marks for customer service
- Has 170 branches across the nation for questions better handled in person
- Provides a completely digital mortgage platform for both refinance and purchase customers
- Guaranteed Rate review
Best jumbo loan lenders for customer service
If you’re looking for top-quality customer service, one of these lenders might be just right.
- Caters to millennial first-time home buyers
- Offers a fully online application process
- Customer service available via phone, email, chat. Borrowers can schedule calls ahead of time
- Better Mortgage review
- Jumbo borrowers are supported by 24-hour customer service via call center, mobile app and email
- No application, origination or other lender fees
- Application and loan tracking services available online
- Fairway Independent Mortgage review
Best traditional banks offering jumbo loans
If you like and trust a traditional bank for your financial business, these lenders can help get you a jumbo mortgage that fits your needs.
- Experienced jumbo lender with more than 900 mortgage loan originators nationwide
- Offers online mortgage application and tracking tools
- Provides customer service in its branches, online and via live chat or phone
- SunTrust Mortgage review
- Offers jumbo loans for purchase and refinance
- Has discounts available for existing Citi customers
- Available in all 50 states
- CitiMortgage review
Best mortgage lenders for jumbo loans: summary
- Bank of America: Overall for jumbo loans
- Guaranteed Rate: Overall for jumbo loans
- Capital One Mortgage: Customer service for jumbo loans
- Fairway Independent Mortgage: Customer service for jumbo loans
- Rocket Mortgage: Online experience for jumbo loans
- Lenda: Online experience for jumbo loans
- SoFi: Nontraditional credit for jumbo loans
- New American Funding: Nontraditional credit for jumbo loans
- SunTrust: Traditional bank for jumbo loans
- CitiMortgage: Traditional bank for jumbo loans