If you’re shopping for a mortgage in a high-cost area or buying a large and expensive home, you may be looking for a jumbo loan — one that’s too big to fit Fannie Mae’s and Freddie Mac’s requirements.
If you’re in the market for a jumbo mortgage, it’s essential to choose a lender with experience dealing with the special requirements of jumbo loans.
NerdWallet has picked some of the best mortgage lenders for borrowers looking for a jumbo loan in a variety of categories so you can quickly determine which one is right for you.
Best overall jumbo loan mortgage lenders
These lenders are experienced jumbo loan lenders, with a national presence, branches throughout the country and competent customer service.
- One of the largest banks in the world, with branches around the country
- Offers a range of jumbo and other mortgage loans to meet most homebuying needs
- Create an account to upload documents, download loan disclosures, e-sign and more
- Bank of America review
- Experienced jumbo mortgage lender with high marks for customer service
- Has 170 branches across the nation for questions better handled in person
- Provides a completely digital mortgage platform for both refinance and purchase customers
- Guaranteed Rate review
Best online jumbo mortgage lenders
These lenders offer some of the best online mortgage experiences for the jumbo borrower who’s looking for a fast, automated way to get a home loan.
- Provides a completely online jumbo loan experience, including a mobile app for application and loan tracking
- Automatic online salary and financial-detail verification shortens and simplifies the process
- Gives a loan decision in minutes
- Rocket Mortgage review
- Online specialist offers jumbo purchase and refinance mortgages with no origination or broker fees
- Minimum 620 credit score qualification
- Automated suggestion engine helps find the lowest possible rate for borrowers
- Reali Loans review
Best jumbo mortgage lenders for nontraditional credit or income
These lenders take a holistic view of borrowers’ situations and make it easier for some homebuyers to qualify for a mortgage.
- Uses manual underwriting to evaluate borrowers, which allows more flexibility to approve loans
- Offers a broad range of loans, including jumbo, fixed-rate, ARMs and refinancing
- Has branch locations across the U.S., except New York and Hawaii
- New American Funding review
- This jumbo specialist was among the first to offer a complete digital platform
- Offers a variety of mortgage products, including jumbo and interest-only loans
- Considers nontraditional income, such as restricted stock units, and works with self-employed borrowers
- SoFi Mortgage review
Best jumbo loan lenders for customer service
If you’re looking for top-quality customer service, one of these lenders might be just right.
- Caters to millennial first-time home buyers
- Offers a fully online application process
- Customer service available via phone, email, chat. Borrowers can schedule calls ahead of time
- Better.com review
- Jumbo borrowers are supported by 24-hour customer service via call center, mobile app and email
- No application, origination or other lender fees
- Application and loan tracking services available online
- Fairway Independent Mortgage review
Best traditional banks offering jumbo loans
If you like and trust a traditional bank for your financial business, these lenders can help get you a jumbo mortgage that fits your needs.
- Experienced jumbo lender with more than 900 mortgage loan originators nationwide
- Offers online mortgage application and tracking tools
- Provides customer service in its branches, online and via live chat or phone
- SunTrust Mortgage review
- Offers jumbo loans for purchase and refinance
- Has discounts available for existing Citi customers
- Available in all 50 states
- CitiMortgage review
Best mortgage lenders for jumbo loans: summary
- Best overall for jumbo loans: Bank of America
- Best overall for jumbo loans: Guaranteed Rate
- Best for online experience for jumbo loans: Rocket Mortgage
- Best for nontraditional credit: New American Funding
- Best for nontraditional income: SoFi
- Best for online experience for jumbo loans: Reali Loans
- Best for customer service for jumbo loans: Better.com
- Best for customer service for jumbo loans: Fairway Independent Mortgage
- Best for traditional bank for jumbo loans: SunTrust
- Best for Traditional bank for jumbo loans: CitiMortgage