If you’re looking to buy or refinance a home in Florida, you have many lenders to choose from. And no matter whether your homeownership dream in the Sunshine State is a beachfront condo or a suburban mid-century modern near great schools, picking the best mortgage lender is a key part of finding the right mortgage for you.
NerdWallet has researched some of the top lenders in Florida and picked the best options for those with particular borrowing needs.
National and regional mortgage lenders in Florida
Though they serve borrowers across the country, these lenders are among the most popular mortgage providers in Florida.
Best Florida mortgage lenders for first-time home buyers
Buying your first home is hard enough, so it’s best to have help from savvy pros. These lenders are well-suited to first-time home buyers.
- The largest Federal Housing Administration lender in the nation
- Well-qualified buyers can get a loan with just 1% down
- Its Rocket Mortgage app is particularly appealing to tech-friendly users
- Quicken Loans review
- A top-10 loan-volume originator in Florida
- Conventional loan programs for first-time home buyers with down payments as low as 3%
- First-time home buyer loan programs from the FHA, Department of Veterans Affairs and U.S. Department of Agriculture
- SunTrust mortgage review
Best Florida mortgage lenders for refinancing
If you’re looking for a cash-out refinance or want to lower your interest rate, these lenders are refi friendly.
- Though it has expanded its services, Lenda began as a mortgage refinance-only lender; that remains its specialty
- Offers a paperless process
- Borrowers can review different loan terms and rate options with their online quotes
- Lenda review
- A leading lender in the Southeast
- You can apply online but only if you have a BB&T account
- Offers a full line of refinancing and home equity loans
- BB&T review
Best Florida online mortgage lenders
On the beach and not ready to pack it in? These lenders let you apply for a home loan with your toes in the sand.
- You’ve heard the pitch, “Push button. Get mortgage.” This is the company.
- Employment and asset verification happens online within minutes — saving a lot of time
- You’ll usually receive a loan decision within minutes, too
- Rocket Mortgage review
- Offers an online application process with secure document uploads and electronic signing
- Claims a 95% customer satisfaction rating
- Has 170 branches across the country if you want to discuss questions face-to-face
- Guaranteed Rate review
Best Florida mortgage lenders for face-to-face service
If you prefer a bit more hand-holding, these lenders are noted national brands with locations throughout Florida.
- The Affordable Loan Solution loan program allows a down payment of just 3%, with no mortgage insurance
- A physician loan program assists docs who are a bit short on a down payment but have strong earning potential
- Existing bank customers may qualify for a reduction in fees
- Bank of America mortgage review
- Provides the full line of loan products you would expect from a megabank
- Offers a 3% down payment option for borrowers with a credit score of 680 or better
- Electronic submission and tracking of documents
- Chase mortgage review
Best Florida mortgage lenders for borrowers with bad credit
Even if your credit isn’t the best, these lenders can help you chart a course to homeownership.
- Caters to minority and low-income borrowers
- Offers loans for manufactured housing
- Helps borrowers find state-sponsored down payment assistance and grant programs
- New American Funding review
- Offers loans to customers without credit scores, using utility bill and rent payment history, among other factors
- Loan advisors help borrowers find applicable state housing and rural/farm assistance programs
- Advocates a path to “debt-free homeownership”
- Churchill Mortgage review
Local Florida mortgage lenders
Although NerdWallet hasn’t reviewed these lenders yet, they may be worth considering if you prefer a Florida-based mortgage provider.
Best Florida mortgage lenders: summary
- Best for first-time home buyers: Quicken Loans
- Best for first-time home buyers: SunTrust Mortgage
- Best for refinancing: Lenda
- Best for refinancing: BB&T Home Mortgage
- Best for online experience: Rocket Mortgage
- Best for online experience: Guaranteed Rate
- Best for face-to-face service: Bank of America
- Best for face-to-face service: Chase
- Best for borrowers with bad credit: New American Funding
- Best for borrowers with bad credit: Churchill Mortgage
- Top local lender: FBC Mortgage LLC
- Top local lender: Eagle Home Mortgage
- Top local lender: The Mortgage Firm Inc.
- Top local lender: Florida Community Bank
More from NerdWallet