NerdWallet offers financial tools and advice to help you understand your options and make the best possible decisions. The guidance we offer and information we provide are deeply researched, objective and independent.
We spent over 400 hours reviewing the top mortgage lenders before selecting the best for our readers. We’ve picked at least two lenders in several "best of" categories to help you find a lender that meets your needs.
If you’re looking to buy or refinance a home in Florida, you have many lenders to choose from. And no matter if your homeownership dream in the Sunshine State is a beachfront condo or a suburban mid-century modern near great schools, picking the best mortgage lender is a key part of finding the right mortgage for you.
NerdWallet has researched some of the top lenders in Florida and picked the best options for those with particular borrowing needs.
Best Florida mortgage lenders for first-time home buyers
Buying your first home is hard enough, so it’s best to have help from savvy pros. These lenders are well-suited to first-time home buyers.
- The largest Federal Housing Administration lender in the nation
- Well-qualified buyers can get a loan with just 1% down
- Its Rocket Mortgage app is particularly appealing to tech-friendly users
- Quicken Loans review
- A top-10 loan-volume originator in Florida
- Conventional loan programs for first-time home buyers with down payments as low as 3%
- First-time home buyer loan programs from the FHA, Department of Veterans Affairs and U.S. Agriculture Department
- SunTrust mortgage review
Best Florida mortgage lenders for refinancing
If you’re looking for a cash-out refinance or want to lower your interest rate, these lenders are refi friendly.
- Though it has expanded its services, Lenda began as a mortgage refinance-only lender; that remains its specialty
- Offers a paperless process
- Borrowers can review different loan terms and rate options with their online quotes
- Lenda review
- A leading lender in the Southeast.
- You can apply online but only if you have a BB&T account
- Offers a full line of refinancing and home equity loans
- BB&T review
Best Florida online mortgage lenders
On the beach and not ready to pack it in? These lenders let you apply for a home loan with your toes in the sand.
- You’ve heard the pitch, “Push button. Get mortgage.” This is the company.
- Employment and asset verification happens online within minutes — saving a lot of time
- You’ll usually receive a loan decision within minutes, too
- Rocket Mortgage review
- Offers an online application process with secure document uploads and electronic signing
- Claims a 95% customer satisfaction rating
- Has 170 branches across the country if you want to discuss questions face to face
- Guaranteed Rate review
Best Florida mortgage lenders for face-to-face service
If you prefer a bit more hand-holding, these lenders are noted national brands with locations throughout Florida.
- The Affordable Loan Solution loan program offers a down payment of just 3%, with no mortgage insurance
- A physician loan program assists docs who are a bit short on a down payment but have strong earning potential
- Existing bank customers might qualify for a reduction in fees
- Bank of America mortgage review
- Provides the full line of loan products you would expect from a mega bank
- Offers a 3% down payment option for borrowers with a credit score of 680 or better
- Electronic submission and tracking of documents
- Chase Mortgage review
Best Florida mortgage lenders for borrowers with bad credit
Even if your credit isn’t the best, these lenders can help you chart a course to homeownership.
- Caters to minority and low-income borrowers
- Offers loans for manufactured housing
- Helps borrowers find state-sponsored down payment assistance and grant programs
- New American Funding review
- Offers loans to customers without credit scores, using utility bill and rent payment history, among other factors
- Loan advisors help borrowers find applicable state housing and rural/farm assistance programs
- Advocates a path to “debt-free homeownership”
- Churchill Mortgage review
Best Florida mortgage lenders: summary
- Best for first-time home buyers: Quicken Loans
- Best for first-time home buyers: SunTrust Mortgage
- Best for refinancing: Lenda
- Best for refinancing: BB&T Home Mortgage
- Best for online experience: Rocket Mortgage
- Best for online experience: Guaranteed Rate
- Best for face-to-face service: Bank of America Mortgage
- Best for face-to-face service: Chase
- Best for borrowers with bad credit: New American Funding
- Best for borrowers with bad credit: Churchill Mortgage