NerdWallet offers financial tools and advice to help you understand your options and make the best possible decisions. The guidance we offer and information we provide are deeply researched, objective and independent.
We spent over 400 hours reviewing the top mortgage lenders before selecting the best for our readers. We’ve picked at least two lenders in several "best of" categories to help you find a lender that meets your needs.
If you’re looking for a mortgage in New York, there are a lot of factors to consider, and offerings can vary significantly. Whether you’re looking for an online-only lender that allows you to apply from the comfort of your bedroom, a lender with programs specifically for first-time home buyers or a mortgage company willing to work with less-than-perfect credit, there are plenty of options for New Yorkers.
NerdWallet has picked some of the best lenders in New York in a variety of categories to help you decide where to apply for your mortgage.
Best mortgage lenders in New York for first-time home buyers
These lenders are highly rated by NerdWallet and offer services and products ideal for first-time home buyers in New York.
- Quicken Loans is the largest FHA lender in the nation.
- Quicken also has a 1% down payment program for qualified buyers.
- Its Rocket Mortgage app allows you to complete the application process online.
- Quicken Loans review
- Offers a full line of purchase mortgages, including Federal Housing Administration and Department of Veterans Affairs loans
- Considers alternative credit, including rent and child support payment history
- Has low down payment options that don’t require private mortgage insurance
- CitiMortgage review
Best online mortgage lenders for New York
These lenders offer a speedy online mortgage process that New York home buyers can complete on the computer or by phone.
- The biggest online mortgage lender in the U.S.
- Fully automated process that imports employment and income data, credit scores, property info and more
- Provides a loan decision in minutes
- Rocket Mortgage review
- Offers a completely digital mortgage platform, but there are four New York locations if you also want in-person service
- Provides free credit scores from all three bureaus
- Has hundreds of high marks and positive reviews on sites such as the Better Business Bureau, Yelp and LendingTree
- Guaranteed Rate review
Best mortgage lenders for refinancing in New York
These lenders provide robust mortgage refinancing products and services to New Yorkers.
- Offers flexible closing cost options for both purchase and refinance loans
- Website offers educational materials, such as a refinance calculator, and a streamlined loan process
- While there are no branches in New York, customer service is available online and by phone
- SunTrust mortgage review
- Offers customers a multitude of refinance options
- Provides fixed, adjustable, jumbo, FHA, VA and Home Affordable Refinance Program loans
- You can apply to refinance online, in a branch or by phone
- Chase Mortgage review
Best mortgage lenders for face-to-face service in New York
These traditional mortgage lenders have branches across New York State for in-person service.
- Offers discounts on rates and closing cost credits to CitiBank customers
- Citi, a New York bank, has many branches throughout the state
- You can start your application online, in person or on the phone
- CitiMortgage review
- Provides an online tool that updates you on the status of your mortgage application
- You can apply online, by phone or in person at one of over 150 branches in the state
- Wide array of mortgage purchase and refinance products
- Bank of America Mortgage review
Best mortgage lenders in New York for borrowers with weaker credit
If your credit history is weak or damaged, these lenders may help you qualify for a mortgage in New York.
- Carries a broad selection of purchase and refinance loans, including FHA, VA and U.S. Department of Agriculture, and charges no lender fees
- Due to its small size and streamlined process, it closes loans faster than most lenders
- Minimum credit score is 600
- Network Capital Funding Mortgage review
- Offers fixed- and adjustable-rate mortgages, conventional, jumbo, FHA, VA, USDA, reverse mortgage and renovation loans
- Minimum credit score is 550 for government-backed loans
- Has extensive educational material on its website
- HomeBridge Financial Services review
Best New York mortgage lenders: summary
- Best for first-time home buyers: Quicken Loans
- Best for first-time home buyers: CitiMortgage
- Best for refinancing: SunTrust
- Best for refinancing: Chase
- Best for online: RocketMortgage
- Best for online: Guaranteed Rate
- Best for face-to-face service: CitiMortgage
- Best for face-to-face service: Wells Fargo
- Best for bad credit: Network Capital Funding
- Best for bad credit: HomeBridge Financial Services