NerdWallet offers financial tools and advice to help you understand your options and make the best possible decisions. The guidance we offer and information we provide are deeply researched, objective and independent.
We spent over 400 hours reviewing the top mortgage lenders before selecting the best for our readers. We’ve picked at least two lenders in several "best of" categories to help you find a lender that meets your needs.
As you shop around for your perfect home in Texas, you’ll find countless options, from countertops to closets to crown moulding. But the process of selecting a mortgage loan comes with many options, too: Do you want a fully digital experience, or is it important for you to meet with a loan officer face to face? Do you need a lender that’s more lenient with credit? Do you a prefer a lender that offers down payment assistance or closing cost assistance programs?
To help guide you toward the best mortgage lender in Texas for your unique needs, NerdWallet has picked some of the best lenders in a variety of categories.
Best mortgage lenders for first-time home buyers in Texas
These are some of the highest rated lenders that offer services ideal for first-time home buyers in Texas.
- Provides online application and loan tracking, but loan officers are readily available if you want a personal touch
- Offers custom fixed-rate loan terms of between 8 and 30 years
- Low-down-payment programs available, including through the FHA and Fannie and Freddie’s 3% down program
- Rocket Mortgage review
- Based in Texas, with 40 locations across the state
- Offers a closing-cost-assistance program and is willing to consider alternative credit
- Has a variety of mortgage loan products, including government-backed loans, and an easy online application and portal
- PrimeLending review
Best mortgage lenders for refinancing in Texas
These lenders offer some of the best refinancing options to homeowners in Texas.
- Has no origination fees or broker commissions
- Fully automated online application that lets you easily track status
- Automated suggestion engine will determine if there are things you can do to lower your rate
- Lenda review
- Has hundreds of branch locations all across Texas
- Refinances underwater homeowners through the HARP program
- Refinances both FHA and VA loans
- Chase mortgage review
Best online mortgage lenders in Texas
If you prefer all or most of your mortgage experience to be digital, these lenders offer automated online mortgage solutions for Texans.
- Offers a completely online application process, secure document uploads and digital signature acceptance
- Boasts a more than a 95% customer satisfaction rate
- Has five branches in Texas if you also want in-person service
- Guaranteed Rate review
- Provides full online service, including a mobile app, for application and loan tracking
- Automated verification of salary and other financial details cuts time and effort of process
- Gives a loan decision in minutes
- Rocket Mortgage review
Best mortgage lenders for face-to-face service in Texas
These traditional mortgage lenders have numerous physical branch locations in Texas for home buyers who prefer in-person service.
- Has nearly 600 bank branches throughout Texas
- You have to apply in person or on the phone but can then track your mortgage progress online
- The leading originator and servicer of residential mortgages for 24 out of the past 25 years
- Wells Fargo mortgage review
- Has bank branch locations all across Texas
- Offers 15- and 30-year fixed loans, FHA, VA, home equity and refinance loans
- Provides a full suite of online and mobile tools to borrowers
- Bank of America review
Best mortgage lenders for Texans with bad credit
If you have a short credit history, weak or damaged credit or a nontraditional credit profile, these lenders may help you qualify for a mortgage in Texas.
- Government loan specialist offering VA, FHA and USDA loans, along with conventional mortgages
- Lends to borrowers with nontraditional credit, employment and income sources
- Has a mobile app and full online application with loan tracking, plus four locations in Texas for in-person service
- Alterra Home Loans review
- Specializes in loans to borrowers with lower credit scores, minimum score 550 in some cases
- Offers down-payment-assistance programs through housing authorities in Texas
- Requires online education course for borrowers
- Carrington Mortgage review
Best Texas mortgage lenders: summary
- PrimeLending: First-time home buyers
- Rocket Mortgage: First-time home buyers
- Lenda: Refinancing
- Chase: Refinancing
- Guaranteed Rate: Online lenders
- Rocket Mortgage: Online lenders
- Wells Fargo: Face-to-face service
- Bank of America: Face-to-face service
- Alterra: Bad credit
- Carrington Mortgage: Bad credit