NerdWallet offers financial tools and advice to help you understand your options and make the best possible decisions. The guidance we offer and information we provide are deeply researched, objective and independent.
We spent over 400 hours reviewing the top mortgage lenders before selecting the best for our readers. We’ve picked at least two lenders in several "best of" categories to help you find a lender that meets your needs.
Buying a home in New Jersey is the fun part. Shopping for a mortgage? Not so much. But don’t worry, we’ve cut through the clutter, vetting New Jersey’s mortgage lenders to discover which are the best for borrowers’ particular needs.
From the hills of Sussex County to the beaches of Cape May, here are some of the best lenders in New Jersey, whether you’re a first-time home buyer, a refinancer, a borrower with bad credit, an aficionado of face-to-face transactions or a digital native.
Best mortgage lenders for first-time home buyers in New Jersey
These highly rated lenders are well-equipped to help you navigate the mortgage process.
- Offers a wide variety of mortgage types, including FHA, VA and USDA loans
- Has a digital lending platform that supports online, phone and face-to-face contact
- At the forefront of applying artificial intelligence to mortgage lending
- LoanDepot mortgage review
- Offers rich suite of purchase mortgages, including FHA and VA loans
- Not all low down-payment options require private mortgage insurance
- Considers alternative credit, such as rent and child support payment history
- CitiMortgage review
Best mortgage lenders in New Jersey for a face-to-face experience
If you’re looking to apply for a mortgage in person, here’s a pair of lenders with a lot of offices in New Jersey.
- Has bank branches all over New Jersey
- Offers a wide variety of mortgages, including FHA and VA loans
- Borrowers can consult with loan officers in person or on the phone
- Bank of America review
Best New Jersey mortgage lenders for borrowers with weaker credit
These mortgage lenders work with New Jersey borrowers with imperfect credit.
- Uses manual underwriting to evaluate borrowers, allowing flexibility in lending
- Requires minimum credit score of 620 for conventional loans and 580 for FHA and VA mortgages
- Allows down payment assistance and grant programs
- New American Funding review
- Almost half of borrowers have low credit scores — below 650
- Offers FHA, VA, USDA and conventional loans
- Easy-to-navigate website offers clear information
- Carrington Mortgage review
Best mortgage lenders for refinancing in New Jersey
Whether you’re trying for a lower interest rate, going through a divorce or tapping your home equity, these lenders will craft a refinance that’s right for you.
- Provides a user-friendly online platform
- Allows you to explore loan options such as a smaller payment, lower rate or shorter term
- Offers cash-out refinances
- Guaranteed Rate review
- Offers customers a multitude of refinancing options
- Has offices throughout New Jersey
- Refinance options include fixed, adjustable, jumbo, FHA and VA loans
- Chase Mortgage review
Best New Jersey online mortgage lenders
These mortgage lenders know you’re busy and offer an online experience that lets you apply when you want to, from anywhere, without a lot of paperwork.
- Boasts of a “Push Button. Get Mortgage” interface
- Saves time with automated verification of salary and other financial details
- For simple situations, can give a loan decision in minutes
- Rocket Mortgage review
- Serves the consumer online and even in person
- Reduces paperwork by allowing uploads of financial information
- Applies “machine learning” to tailor loan options to borrowers’ needs
- LoanDepot mortgage review
Best New Jersey mortgage lenders: summary
- LoanDepot: First-time home buyers
- CitiMortgage: First-time home buyers
- Bank of America: Face-to-face experience
- PNC Mortgage: Face-to-face experience
- New American Funding: Weaker credit
- Carrington Mortgage Services: Weaker credit
- Guaranteed Rate: Refinancing
- Chase Mortgage: Refinancing
- Rocket Mortgage: Online lending
- LoanDepot: Online lending