NerdWallet offers financial tools and advice to help you understand your options and make the best possible decisions. The guidance we offer and information we provide are deeply researched, objective and independent.
We spent over 400 hours reviewing the top mortgage lenders before selecting the best for our readers. We’ve picked at least two lenders in several "best of" categories to help you find a lender that meets your needs.
As a North Carolinian, you probably have firm ideas about which barbecue style is best. But when you shop for a mortgage, the options may leave you stumped.
Will this be your first home? Do you want to talk face to face with a mortgage lender? Do you have imperfect credit? Are you trying to refinance, or get a VA loan? NerdWallet is here to help you find the best mortgage lender in North Carolina for your needs.
Best mortgage lenders for first-time home buyers in North Carolina
These lenders offer FHA loans, low down payment programs and other products and services aimed at helping first-time home buyers.
- The nation’s largest producer of FHA loans, popular with many first-time buyers
- Has a 1% down payment program for buyers with good credit
- Online applications through Rocket Mortgage minimize paperwork
- Quicken Loans review
- Offers FHA, VA and USDA loans, all of which allow low or no down payments
- Applies artificial intelligence to mortgage lending
- Digital lending platform supports online, phone and face-to-face contact
- LoanDepot mortgage review
Best VA mortgage lenders in North Carolina
Home to many veterans, North Carolina has plenty of mortgages guaranteed by the Department of Veterans Affairs. These lenders specialize in VA loans.
- One of the largest VA lenders in the nation
- Partners with veterans from all military branches to improve customer support
- Offers 24/7 customer service, so you can get an answer on your schedule wherever you are
- Veterans United Home Loans review
- Expert VA lender that offers multiple mortgage services for military borrowers
- Its underwriting model allows a degree of loan flexibility
- Loan officers may use alternative credit scoring when evaluating borrowers
- Navy Federal review
Best mortgage lenders in North Carolina for face-to-face service
These lenders have plenty of offices in North Carolina, so you can talk in person with a loan officer.
- Has hundreds of branches in North Carolina
- Community Homeownership Incentive Program allows 3% down payments, with no mortgage insurance
- Offers a full line of mortgages for buying, refinancing and building homes
- BB&T review
Best mortgage lenders in North Carolina for borrowers with weaker credit
Do you have blemishes on your credit record? You’re not alone. These mortgage lenders work with North Carolina borrowers with imperfect credit.
- Minimum score of 580 for FHA and VA loans, and 620 for conventional mortgages
- Evaluates borrowers manually, allowing more flexibility to approve loans
- Seeks out minority and other underserved borrowers
- New American Funding review
- Specializes in loans to borrowers with lower credit scores; minimum score 550 in some cases
- Offers mostly FHA, VA and USDA mortgages
- In-house underwriters can manually underwrite loans for borrowers who are deemed risky
- Carrington Mortgage review
Best mortgage lenders for refinancing in North Carolina
There are plenty of reasons to refinance, including lowering your interest rate, shortening your loan term or extracting some cash from equity. These lenders can guide you through the refinancing process.
- Offers cash-out refinances
- Provides a comprehensive online platform
- Works with most borrowers who have good credit scores and incomes
- Guaranteed Rate review
- Because this Charlotte-headquartered bank is so large, many potential refi customers already have an account of some type
- Its offerings include fixed, adjustable, jumbo, FHA and VA mortgages
- Has a full set of online and mobile tools for borrowers
- Bank of America review
Best North Carolina mortgage lenders: summary
- Quicken Loans: First-time home buyers
- loanDepot: First-time home buyers
- Veterans United Home Loans: VA loans
- Navy Federal Credit Union: VA loans
- BB&T Mortgage: Face-to-face service
- PNC Mortgage: Face-to-face service
- New American Funding: Borrowers with weaker credit
- Carrington Mortgage Services: Borrowers with weaker credit
- Guaranteed Rate: Refinancing
- Bank of America: Refinancing