NerdWallet offers financial tools and advice to help you understand your options and make the best possible decisions. The guidance we offer and information we provide are deeply researched, objective and independent.
We spent over 400 hours reviewing the top mortgage lenders before selecting the best for our readers. We’ve picked at least two lenders in several "best of" categories to help you find a lender that meets your needs.
If you’re looking to buy a house in Ohio or refinance your existing mortgage, this is an excellent place to start. Finding a lender that best suits your situation can save you time — and possibly money.
After reviewing the state’s leading home lenders and matching them to the different needs of Ohio residents, we’ve compiled this short list of the Buckeye State’s best.
Best Ohio mortgage lenders for first-time home buyers
These lenders have popular mortgage products particularly suited for first-time home buyers in Ohio.
- Serves Ohio’s large veteran population — the sixth-largest in the nation
- First-time buyers with a qualified military connection may be eligible for no-down-payment VA loans
- Highly rated for customer service, according to J.D. Power
- USAA Mortgage Loans review
- Offers FHA, VA and USDA loans — appealing options for first-time buyers
- Mobile app speeds the application and closing process
- Provides 24/7 access to a loan administration portal for quick application updates
- Fairway Independent Mortgage review
Best Ohio mortgage lenders for tapping home equity
Now that you have a little value built up in your home, these lenders can help you access it by offering a variety of home equity products.
- Offers home equity loans and home equity lines of credit
- Existing U.S. Bank customers may qualify for a discount on closing fees
- Doesn’t charge an origination or application fee
- U.S. Bank mortgage review
- Offers a HELOC for larger expenses with a minimum line of $10,000
- Getting a home equity loan allows you to borrow a specific amount, as low as $1,000, with a fixed interest rate
- A “Rapid Refinance” option allows you to access your home’s equity with a refi that features a simplified application process
- PNC Mortgage review
Best Ohio mortgage lenders for refinancing
If it’s time for a cash-out refi, or you’re just looking to improve your existing mortgage, these are among the highest-rated refinance lenders in Ohio.
- Has a completely online application process
- Home loan experts are available to answer your questions online or by phone
- Refinances government loans, such as FHA, VA and USDA
- Quicken Loans review
- Among the highest-ranking lenders in customer service, according to J.D. Power
- Local offices across Ohio for face-to-face service
- Upload documents and track the progress of your loan online
- PrimeLending review
Best online mortgage lenders in Ohio
If you’re looking for online convenience and 24/7 access to your loan application, these are the high-tech leaders among Ohio lenders.
- Online preapproval takes just a few minutes
- Offers a mobile-friendly application process for on-the-go Ohioans
- Income, employment and even property information are often pre-populated or downloaded automatically
- Rocket Mortgage review
- One of the few nonbank lenders to offer a home equity loan
- Refinance once and never pay lender fees again on subsequent refis
- Offers online access to all government-backed loans, including VA, FHA and USDA
- LoanDepot review
Best traditional bank mortgage lenders in Ohio
Traditional banks offer services that span multiple stages of life. These financial institutions are among the home loan leaders in Ohio.
- Provides the full line of loan products you would expect from a megabank
- Offers a 3% down payment option for borrowers with a credit score of 680 or better
- Offers electronic submission and tracking of documents
- Chase Mortgage review
Best Ohio mortgage lenders: summary
- USAA: Best for first-time home buyers
- Fairway: Best for first-time home buyers
- U.S. Bank: Best for home equity
- PNC Mortgage: Best for home equity
- Quicken Loans: Best for refinancing
- PrimeLending: Best for refinancing
- Rocket Mortgage: Best for online experience
- LoanDepot: Best for online experience
- Chase: Best traditional bank
- PNC Mortgage: Best traditional bank