Whether buying a home inside or outside of Loop 410, you want a mortgage lender that performs like the Spurs — gets the job done well with a minimum of fuss.
NerdWallet researched mortgage companies in San Antonio and identified some of the best in important categories. Our national and regional picks are a good place to start as you shop for a mortgage.
NerdWallet’s best San Antonio mortgage lenders
These national companies do a lot of business in San Antonio and are among NerdWallet’s top-rated mortgage lenders.
Ideal for borrowers who want lots of options and a quick turn time. Fairway Independent Mortgage offers a full selection of home loans along with a comprehensive mobile app for a fast and easy application process.
Ideal for borrowers looking for help with closing costs: PrimeLending's proprietary program, NeighborhoodEdge, helps qualified low- to moderate-income borrowers with up to $2,000 in closing cost credits (certain restrictions are based on income and location).
Ideal for those who appreciate the full-service experience of a leading regional bank. Flagstar offers a full menu of fixed and adjustable home loans and mortgage refinancing, as well as jumbo loans and home equity financing.
Ideal for first-time home buyers who want to talk to a loan officer in person or on the phone, and for homeowners who want to refinance their mortgages in 60 days or less. Chase offers a full line of mortgage products and account management tools.
Ideal for borrowers who prefer a traditional bank. Bank of America offers a wide array of mortgages and online account management tools. It also has first-time home buyer loans with low down payments and no mandatory mortgage insurance.
» MORE: See the best Texas mortgage lenders
Local and regional mortgage lenders in San Antonio
The following mortgage companies are among the top lenders by loan volume in San Antonio, so they’re worth checking out if you’re looking for more options. NerdWallet has not reviewed these lenders.
- Offers options for low-down-payment borrowers.
- One of the highest-volume FHA lenders in the area.
- Offers combined purchase and renovation home loans.
- Offers online pre-qualification.
- More than half of its lending volume is in FHA and VA loans.
- Has a full menu of conventional loan options, too, including jumbo loans.
- Offers online pre-qualification.
- Good for borrowers who want a homegrown lender based in San Antonio.
- Offers a full menu of conventional and government-backed loans.
- Makes Spanish-language versions of forms available online for borrowers to reference.
- Has an online application process.
- Offers home equity loans and lines of credit.
- Offers lot, land and construction loans.
- Allows certain borrowers to save up to $5,000 on select closing costs for conventional loans.
Best San Antonio mortgage lenders: Summary
- Navy Federal Credit Union: Best for veterans.
- USAA: Best for veterans.
- Caliber Home Loans: Best for FHA loans.
- LoanDepot: Best for FHA loans.
- Rocket Mortgage: Best for online convenience.
- Fairway Independent Mortgage: Best for online convenience.
- PrimeLending: Best for first-time home buyers.
- Flagstar Bank: Best for first-time home buyers.
- Chase Mortgage: Best for conventional and jumbo loans.
- Bank of America: Best for conventional and jumbo loans.
- AMCAP Mortgage: Top San Antonio lender.
- Cornerstone Home Lending: Top San Antonio lender.
- Legacy Mutual Mortgage: Top San Antonio lender.
- Security Service Federal Credit Union: Top San Antonio lender.
More from NerdWallet