Finding the ideal South Carolina mortgage lender can feel like a massive task, but don’t worry — NerdWallet has done the homework for you.
We compared leading home loan providers in the Palmetto State and identified the best ones for a variety of borrower needs.
Whether you’re looking to buy a condo in Charleston, a cottage in Mount Pleasant or a classic ranch in Greenville, these lenders are a solid place to start your mortgage search.
Best South Carolina mortgage lenders for first-time home buyers
These lenders offer government-backed loans, which have lower credit and down payment requirements. That makes it easier to purchase your first home.
- Offers FHA, VA and USDA loans
- Has loan programs for borrowers with 3% to 5% down payment or nontraditional credit
- Customer service available online, by phone and at branches
- SunTrust mortgage review
- Helps eligible borrowers find state housing finance assistance programs
- Specializes in FHA, VA and USDA loans
- Considers alternative credit data such as utility bills and rent payments
- Guild Mortgage review
Best South Carolina mortgage lenders for veterans
A VA loan from these lenders can make homeownership more affordable for those who serve or have served in the military.
- Has two loan programs tailored to military members and their families
- Uses alternative credit scoring to help veterans qualify
- Offers a $1,000 mortgage rate match program
- Navy Federal Mortgage review
- 65% of USAA’s mortgages are VA loans
- Offers no-fee VA Interest Rate Reduction Refinance Loans (IRRRL)
- Has a track record of providing excellent customer service
- USAA Mortgage Loans review
Best South Carolina mortgage lenders for a low down payment
These lenders offer multiple mortgages with low down payment requirements and can help you find additional assistance through state home-buying programs.
- Offers a low or no down payment loan package for borrowers in certain professions
- Connects borrowers with low down payment state bond programs
- Considers nontraditional credit sources
- Flagstar Bank review
- Offers multiple home loans with a down payment requirement of 5% or less
- Provides zero-down mortgages through the VA and USDA
- Willing to consider nontraditional credit histories
- BB&T review
Best online mortgage lenders in South Carolina
If you’re looking for digital tools that reduce paperwork and speed up approval, check out these tech-savvy mortgage lenders.
- Get approved in minutes with mobile-friendly application process
- Assistance from licensed mortgage advisors is just a click away
- Offers a complete selection of purchase and refinance home loans
- Rocket Mortgage review
- Makes it easy to compare mortgage rates online
- Uses electronic document exchange and other digital tools
- Offers a full selection of purchase and refinance mortgages
- LoanDepot review
Best South Carolina lenders for HELOCs
Finance improvements in your existing home with a home equity line of credit, or HELOC, from these mortgage lenders.
- Apply for your HELOC, track the status and exchange documents — all online
- No application fee, closing costs or annual fee on most HELOCs
- Ability to convert to fixed interest rate on all or part of your HELOC
- Bank of America mortgage review
- Online HELOC application
- Rate discounts available with a TD Bank personal checking account
- 29 locations in South Carolina
- TD Bank mortgage review
Best South Carolina mortgage lenders: summary
- SunTrust: Best for first-time home buyers
- Guild Mortgage: Best for first-time home buyers
- Navy Federal Credit Union: Best for veterans
- USAA: Best for veterans
- Flagstar Bank: Best for low down payment
- BB&T: Best for low down payment
- Rocket Mortgage: Best for online experience
- LoanDepot: Best for online experience
- Bank of America: Best for HELOC
- TD Bank: Best for HELOC