NerdWallet offers financial tools and advice to help you understand your options and make the best possible decisions. The guidance we offer and information we provide are deeply researched, objective and independent.
We spent over 400 hours reviewing the top mortgage lenders before selecting the best for our readers. We’ve picked at least two lenders in several "best of" categories to help you find a lender that meets your needs.
Finding the ideal South Carolina mortgage lender can feel like a massive task, but don’t worry — NerdWallet has done the homework for you.
We compared leading home loan providers in the Palmetto State and identified the best ones for a variety of borrower needs.
Whether you’re looking to buy a condo in Charleston, a cottage in Mount Pleasant or a classic ranch in Greenville, these lenders are a solid place to start your mortgage search.
Best South Carolina mortgage lenders for first-time home buyers
These lenders offer government-backed loans, which have lower credit and down payment requirements. That makes it easier to purchase your first home.
- Offers FHA, VA and USDA loans
- Has loan programs for borrowers with 3% to 5% down payment or nontraditional credit
- Customer service available online, by phone and at branches
- SunTrust mortgage review
- Helps eligible borrowers find state housing finance assistance programs
- Specializes in FHA, VA and USDA loans
- Considers alternative credit data such as utility bills and rent payments
- Guild Mortgage review
Best South Carolina mortgage lenders for veterans
A VA loan from these lenders can make homeownership more affordable for those who serve or have served in the military.
- Has two loan programs tailored to military members and their families
- Uses alternative credit scoring to help veterans qualify
- Offers a $1,000 mortgage rate match program
- Navy Federal Mortgage review
- 65% of USAA’s mortgages are VA loans
- Offers no-fee VA Interest Rate Reduction Refinance Loans (IRRRL)
- Has a track record of providing excellent customer service
- USAA Mortgage Loans review
Best South Carolina mortgage lenders for a low down payment
These lenders offer multiple mortgages with low down payment requirements and can help you find additional assistance through state home-buying programs.
- Offers a low or no down payment loan package for borrowers in certain professions
- Connects borrowers with low down payment state bond programs
- Considers nontraditional credit sources
- Flagstar Bank review
- Offers multiple home loans with a down payment requirement of 5% or less
- Provides zero-down mortgages through the VA and USDA
- Willing to consider nontraditional credit histories
- BB&T review
Best online mortgage lenders in South Carolina
If you’re looking for digital tools that reduce paperwork and speed up approval, check out these tech-savvy mortgage lenders.
- Get approved in minutes with mobile-friendly application process
- Assistance from licensed mortgage advisors is just a click away
- Offers a complete selection of purchase and refinance home loans
- Rocket Mortgage review
- Makes it easy to compare mortgage rates online
- Uses electronic document exchange and other digital tools
- Offers a full selection of purchase and refinance mortgages
- LoanDepot review
Best South Carolina lenders for HELOCs
Finance improvements in your existing home with a home equity line of credit, or HELOC, from these mortgage lenders.
- Apply for your HELOC, track the status and exchange documents — all online
- No application fee, closing costs or annual fee on most HELOCs
- Ability to convert to fixed interest rate on all or part of your HELOC
- Bank of America mortgage review
- Online HELOC application
- Rate discounts available with a TD Bank personal checking account
- 29 locations in South Carolina
- TD Bank mortgage review
Best South Carolina mortgage lenders: summary
- SunTrust: Best for first-time home buyers
- Guild Mortgage: Best for first-time home buyers
- Navy Federal Credit Union: Best for veterans
- USAA: Best for veterans
- Flagstar Bank: Best for low down payment
- BB&T: Best for low down payment
- Rocket Mortgage: Best for online experience
- LoanDepot: Best for online experience
- Bank of America: Best for HELOC
- TD Bank: Best for HELOC