NerdWallet offers financial tools and advice to help you understand your options and make the best possible decisions. The guidance we offer and information we provide are deeply researched, objective and independent.
We spent over 400 hours reviewing the top mortgage lenders before selecting the best for our readers. We’ve picked at least two lenders in several "best of" categories to help you find a lender that meets your needs.
The Beehive State is full of busy people. If you’re buying or refinancing a home in Utah, it’s hard to find time to research the various lenders. We’ve done the homework, identifying some of the best lenders in Utah for borrowers’ different needs.
Here are the top lenders in Utah for first-time home buyers, borrowers with low credit scores or small down payments, folks who want to apply online and homeowners who want to borrow against their home equity.
Best Utah mortgage lenders for first-time home buyers
These lenders treat first-time home buyers in Utah with care.
- Specializes in first-time home buyers
- Embraces FHA and VA loans, which require small down payments and are forgiving of low credit scores
- Helps borrowers find state housing finance assistance programs
- Guild Mortgage review
- Offers FHA, VA and USDA loans, which are popular among first-timers
- Online mortgage application includes a look at credit scores from all three bureaus
- Borrowers can talk to a loan officer for help with any part of the application
- Guaranteed Rate review
Best Utah mortgage lenders for low credit scores
You don’t have to have perfect credit to qualify for a mortgage with these lenders in Utah.
- Uses manual underwriting to evaluate borrowers, which allows more flexibility to approve loans
- Offers FHA loans with a minimum score of 580 for qualified borrowers
- English/Spanish bilingual loan officers are available
- New American Funding review
- Offers FHA and VA loans, which allow low credit scores
- Considers alternative credit, such as rent and child support payment history
- Closing cost credits and rate discounts may be available for Citibank customers
- CitiMortgage review
Best Utah mortgage lenders for low down payments
Not everyone has the income and the time to save up for a large down payment. These lenders offer mortgages for home buyers who need to make small down payments.
- Finds state bond programs for first-time home buyers and limited-income households
- Embraces FHA-backed home loans
- Allows nontraditional credit, such as timely rental and utility payments, for FHA loans
- Flagstar Bank review
- Offers FHA loans, which work with low down payments, and VA loans, some of which require no down payment
- Affordable Loan Solution mortgage allows qualified borrowers to make a 3% down payment, with no mortgage insurance
- Willing to use alternative credit data, such as utility and rental payments
- Bank of America review
Best online mortgage lenders in Utah
These lenders offer borrowers in Utah the convenience of an online mortgage platform.
- Online system allows about 60% of workers to import income and employment information
- Allows loan application and tracking completely online
- Has mobile apps for iOS and Android.
- Rocket Mortgage review
- Application process starts with filling out an online form, followed by a conversation with a loan officer
- Allows you to submit documentation electronically
- Account may be accessed via desktop, phone or tablet
- PennyMac Loan Services review
Best Utah mortgage lenders for home equity lines of credit
These lenders offer home equity lines of credit, which allow you to borrow against your home’s value.
- Low fees: $50 origination fee and $50 annual fee, with no closing or application charges
- Interest rate discount for having a Chase checking account
- Ability to lock a fixed rate to all or part of the HELOC balance
- Chase Mortgage review
- No closing fees if you keep the credit line open for at least 36 months
- Credit line up to $1 million is available
- Low promotional interest rate offered for first six months of HELOC
- Flagstar Bank review
Best Utah mortgage lenders: summary
- Guild Mortgage: Best for first-time home buyers
- Guaranteed Rate: Best for first-time home buyers
- New American Funding: Best for low credit scores
- CitiMortgage: Best for low credit scores
- Flagstar Bank: Best for low down payments
- Bank of America: Best for low down payments
- Rocket Mortgage: Best for online experience
- PennyMac: Best for online experience
- Chase Mortgage: Best for home equity lines of credit
- Flagstar Bank: Best for home equity lines of credit