Shopping for a mortgage in the Keystone State? You’ll want to work with lenders that have been screened and rated for customer service, online experience, products, features and more.
From Erie to Philly, these 10 lenders rose to the top in NerdWallet’s lender research and reviews for five key categories: government-backed home loans, refinancing, first-time homebuyers, jumbo lending and online lending platforms.
Best Pennsylvania mortgage lenders for government-backed loans
These lenders offer borrowers a wide range of products, including VA, FHA and USDA mortgages.
- The Affordable Loan Solution program features a 3% down payment without mortgage insurance
- First-time borrowers offered FHA mortgages with low down payment options and flexible eligibility requirements
- Sophisticated suite of online and mobile tools
- Bank of America mortgage review
- Online application process includes e-signature and secure document uploads
- Guaranteed Rate’s online mortgage rate tool shows a minimum down payment of 3%
- Options for in-person service at 170 branches across the U.S.
- Guaranteed Rate review
Best Pennsylvania mortgage lenders for refinancing
Thinking of refinancing? These lenders can help lower your monthly mortgage payment, borrow against home equity or change your mortgage term.
- Variety of refinance loans and home equity loans available
- Borrowers can get face-to-face service at 180 affiliated loan stores across the U.S.
- Home equity loans available, which is unusual for a nonbank lender
- LoanDepot mortgage review
- Largest VA purchase loan lender in the U.S.
- Partners with veterans of all military branches to improve customer service and offers 24/7 borrower support
- Offers refinancing and FHA, USDA and conventional purchase mortgages
- Veterans United Home Loans review
Best Pennsylvania lenders for first-time home buyers
These lenders offer a wide range of home purchase loans, including VA, FHA and USDA mortgages.
- Focuses on helping first-time buyers and customers with low credit scores
- Experienced at working with state down payment assistance programs
- Emphasizes financial education: Online course required before mortgage closes
- Carrington review
- Licensed in all 50 states
- Online employment and asset verification and loan decisions can be done in minutes
- Fully digital home loan process for a variety of mortgage products
- Rocket Mortgage review
Best Pennsylvania lenders for jumbo loans
High-cost homes require mortgages that exceed the Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae limits. These lenders have experience with the special requirements of jumbo loans.
- Online application process with e-sign and secure document upload
- Mortgage rate tool shows a minimum down payment of 3%
- Borrowers can ask questions face-to-face at 170 branches across the U.S.
- Guaranteed Rate review
- Jumbo mortgage specialist and early adopter of all-digital mortgage platform
- Mortgage products include jumbo and interest-only loans
- Features expertise in nontraditional credit lending
- SoFi Mortgage review
Best online lenders in Pennsylvania
These lenders offer a wide range of products, including VA, FHA and USDA mortgages, with the convenience and speed of an online process.
- Convenience of online application combined with a mortgage banker’s assistance
- Can gather most borrowers’ W-2s, bank records, pay stubs and tax returns electronically
- Charges no lender fees
- Network Capital Funding Mortgage review
Best Pennsylvania mortgage lenders: summary
- Bank of America: Best for government-backed home loans
- Guaranteed Rate: Best for government-backed home loans
- LoanDepot: Best for refinancing
- Veterans United: Best for refinancing
- Carrington: Best for first-time home buyers
- Rocket Mortgage: Best for first-time home buyers
- Guaranteed Rate: Best jumbo-mortgage lenders
- SoFi: Best jumbo-mortgage lenders
- Network Capital: Best for online
- PNC: Best for online
More from NerdWallet