NerdWallet is here to help you win Black Friday while leaving your budget intact. We spend the time, you save the money. Visit regularly for holiday tips and announcements about your favorite products. Black Friday is Nov. 29.
The new Apple Watch Series 5, unveiled in September, has made its way onto many holiday shoppers’ lists. The gadget does make an appearance during Black Friday sales, but older models are dominating the deals. Here’s what you need to know before shopping for an Apple Watch.
Best Black Friday Apple Watch deals, 2019
A handful of big-box retailers are touting Apple Watch deals, but you’ll be disappointed if you’re looking to score the newest Series 5 model. All of the discounts we’ve seen are for the Series 3 or Series 4.
- Walmart is offering the Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS) 38mm for $129 (was $199).
- Amazon is also offering the Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS) 38mm, for $169.99 (was $199) — $40 more than Walmart’s sale price.
- Target has the Apple Watch Series 3, also starting at $169.99 (regularly $199.99).
- Best Buy shoppers can save up to $300 on the Apple Watch Series 4.
How to decide if it’s worth it
If you’ve had your eye on an Apple Watch for a while, now is the time to act — you’re unlikely to see bigger discounts on the smartwatch any other time of the year. However, if your heart is set on the most recent Series 5 model, it would be best to hold off on making a purchase as that model is unlikely to be offered for a discount.
How to budget for an Apple Watch
As with any bigger ticket purchase, you’ll need to earmark that specific expense as part of the “wants” category within your monthly budget. If you’re following the 50/30/20 budgeting system, no more than 30% of your income should be spent on wants. So, if you plan on dropping $169 on an Apple Watch in November, make sure that extra expense doesn’t put you over the edge. We have a handy calculator to help you keep your budget on track.
Best Black Friday Apple Watch deals, 2018
Apple Watch bargains were somewhat elusive last Black Friday. Here are some of the deals we spotted:
- Sprint offered $100 off the Apple Watch Series 4 to customers who added a line on an eligible plan.
- Macy’s marked down the Apple Watch Series 3 by $80. Prices ranged from $199 to $329 (regularly $279 to $409).
- Target also discounted the Apple Watch Series 3 by $80.