The Bank of America® Travel Rewards credit card is pretty freeing, in that you don’t have to use special websites or even airlines to redeem your rewards and book travel. You also can avoid extra fees like annual or foreign transaction ones.
The 5 best perks
1. No annual fee: Annual fees can eat into your rewards savings: The Bank of America® Travel Rewards credit card’s annual fee is $0.
2. No foreign transaction fees: When you travel frequently beyond U.S. borders, avoiding extra fees for foreign transactions can save you quite a bit. Your charges are based on the amount you pay for your purchases and the exchange rate to U.S. currency.
3. Generous flat rewards rate on all purchases: Earning points is unlimited at a rate of 1.5 points per $1 spent on all purchases with the Bank of America® Travel Rewards credit card. You can earn even more if you have a Bank of America checking or savings account or Merrill Lynch investment account.
4. Points don’t expire: When you’re saving for a big trip like going to New Zealand, it may take you a couple of years. Since the points don’t expire using this card, you won’t lose any of your qualifying points while saving up for a true dream vacation.
5. Unrestricted travel bookings to use any airline and hotel you want: After you charge a travel purchase, you can request the purchase amount based on the points you have be credited back as a statement credit. It doesn’t matter what airline, cruise, rental car or hotel you book, or the date. There are no blackout dates or required websites to use. You can even book on a discount travel site.
- Recommended Credit Score
- 690850Good - Excellent
- Card Details
- No annual fee and no foreign transaction fees
- Generous flat rewards rate on all purchases
- Flexibility to book travel how you want
- Rewards accelerator if you bank with Bank of America or invest with Merrill Lynch
- More restrictive than a straight cash back card
- If you're a big spender with excellent credit and willing to pay an annual fee, there are cards with higher rewards
- APR: 16.99% - 24.99% Variable APR
- Penalty APR: up to 29.99% APR
- Cash Advance APR: See Terms
Bonus Offers25,000 online bonus points if you make at least $1,000 in purchases in the first 90 days of account opening - that can be a $250 statement credit toward travel purchases
- 0% on Purchases for 12 billing cycles
- Additional Information
- Earn unlimited 1.5 points per $1 spent on all purchases, with no annual fee and no foreign transaction fees and your points don't expire
- NEW OFFER: 25,000 online bonus points if you make at least $1,000 in purchases in the first 90 days of account opening - that can be a $250 statement credit toward travel purchases
- Use your card to book your trip how and where you want – you’re not limited to specific websites with blackout dates or restrictions
- Redeem points for a statement credit to pay for flights, hotels, vacation packages, cruises, rental cars, or baggage fees
- Comes with chip technology for enhanced security and protection at chip-enabled terminals
- 0% Introductory APR for 12 billing cycles for purchases, then 16.99% - 24.99% Variable APR
- Get an additional 10% customer points bonus on every purchase when you have an active Bank of America® checking or savings account
- If you’re a Preferred Rewards client, you can increase that bonus to 25% - 75%
How to maximize your rewardsYou want a travel credit card that prioritizes what’s important to you. Here are our picks for the best travel credit cards of 2018, including those best for:
- Airline miles and a large bonus: Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card (Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®).
- Flat-rate travel rewards: Capital One® Venture® Rewards Credit Card (Earn unlimited 2 miles per dollar on every purchase).
- Premium travel rewards: Chase Sapphire Reserve® (Get 3 points per dollar on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide and 1 point per dollar on all other purchases).
- No annual fee: Bank of America® Travel Rewards credit card (Earn unlimited 1.5 points per dollar spent on all purchases, with no annual fee).
- Luxury perks: The Platinum Card® from American Express (Get 5 points per dollar on flights booked directly with airlines or through American Express Travel, plus get access to the Global Lounge Collection). Terms Apply.
Planning a trip? Check out these articles for more inspiration and advice:
Bank of America Travel Rewards review: Easy rewards for easy travel
Bank of America credit cards mobile app review
Fall 2018 hotel points promotions: Which ones are worth your time?