American Express cardholders already get a solid 1:1 transfer rate when they convert their Membership Rewards points to Avios, the rewards currency of British Airways, Aer Lingus and Iberia. For a limited time, American Express is sweetening the deal by adding a 40% bonus when you convert Membership Rewards to Avios.
That means you’ll get 1,400 Avios for every 1,000 Membership Rewards points you transfer to British Airways Executive Club, Aer Lingus Aeroclub or Iberia Plus. Just remember that all transfers are final, so you can’t transfer Avios back to Membership Rewards. You also can’t make any transfers that result in more than 999,000 Avios at a time. The promotion ends Oct. 1, 2019.
You’ll need one of the following Membership Rewards-earning cards to take advantage of the deal:
- The Platinum Card® from American Express.
- The Business Platinum® Card from American Express.
- American Express® Gold Card.
- American Express® Business Gold Card.
- Amex EveryDay® Credit Card.
- AmEx Everyday Preferred Credit Card.
- American Express Green Card.
- Blue From American Express.
- The Blue Business® Plus Credit Card from American Express.
If you have a specific award flight in mind, transferring points during this promotion might help you get the most value. A transfer doesn’t limit you to flying one of these airlines, either.
British Airways and Iberia are part of the Oneworld alliance, so Avios can be used to book American Airlines flights as well. Use the reward flight calculator to determine how many Avios you need for your next award flight within or outside of the United States.
How to maximize your rewardsYou want a travel credit card that prioritizes what’s important to you. Here are our picks for the best travel credit cards of 2020, including those best for:
- Airline miles and a large bonus: The Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- No annual fee: The Wells Fargo Propel American Express® card
- Flat-rate rewards with no annual fee: The Bank of America® Travel Rewards Visa® credit card
- Premium travel rewards: The Chase Sapphire Reserve®
- Luxury perks: The Platinum Card® from American Express
- Business travelers: The Ink Business Preferred℠ Credit Card
Planning a trip? Check out these articles for more inspiration and advice:
Find the best travel credit card for you
American Express Platinum review: Luxury isn’t cheap
Benefits of the American Express Gold