Priority Pass announced that it will institute a price increase on chargeable lounge visits from $27 up to $32 per visit for members who receive their Priority Pass membership as a benefit from American Express.
The keyword here is chargeable visits. Membership plans that include complimentary visits will still include the same complimentary visits.
The new rate is applicable at all global locations. This increase will come into effect on Oct. 1, 2018, so you still have a month to get in your cheaper rates. Priority Pass states that this is the first fee increase in 10 years.
Who is affected: This announcement is specifically for American Express cardholders who enjoy a Priority Pass membership as a benefit of their American Express card, though changes affecting other credit cardholders have already happened. At the end of the day, it’s a $5 increase for members who already receive mostly free access.
As of now, no changes are mentioned for users who directly purchase memberships with Priority Pass. The membership tiers still list $27 as the standard rate for chargeable visits.
Have a problem?: Contact American Express. The Priority Pass membership services team will not be supporting members with issues related to this fee increase. They note to speak directly with American Express card issuers.
How to maximize your rewardsYou want a travel credit card that prioritizes what’s important to you. Here are our picks for the best travel credit cards of 2018, including those best for:
- Airline miles and a large bonus: Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card (Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®).
- Flat-rate travel rewards: Capital One® Venture® Rewards Credit Card (Earn unlimited 2 miles per dollar on every purchase).
- Premium travel rewards: Chase Sapphire Reserve® (Get 3 points per dollar on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide and 1 point per dollar on all other purchases).
- No annual fee: Bank of America® Travel Rewards credit card (Earn unlimited 1.5 points per dollar spent on all purchases, with no annual fee).
- Luxury perks: The Platinum Card® from American Express (Get 5 points per dollar on flights booked directly with airlines or through American Express Travel, plus get access to the Global Lounge Collection). Terms Apply.
Planning a trip? Check out these articles for more inspiration and advice:
Targeted offer: New AmEx offer gives $60 cash back on Marriott stay
How to snag credit card rewards flights in peak season
Priority Pass adds lounges and experiences to network