For some, travel is simply a means to an end destination. But for others, travel is an entire experience all its own.
These travelers have a preference for additional space and amenities, and don’t mind paying for it. So what are the top rewards options for these high-end travelers?
The Platinum Card® from American Express is a solid contender.
Here’s what gives The Platinum Card® from American Express a great return on investment for high-end travel.
1. Status upgrades and transit credits make travel luxurious
The Platinum Card® from American Express has upgrades and credits that make the $550 annual fee worth it.
Some of the travel credits include up to $200 toward Uber rides, $200 to use on airline fees and reimbursement for TSA Precheck or Global Entry fees.
» Learn more: Best travel credit cards with no annual fee
At the Fine Hotels & Resorts, AmEx states the total upgrade value comes with an average $550 of complimentary benefits. And any two-night minimum stay at a Hotel Collection hotel includes an upgrade when available and $75 hotel credit toward qualifying dining, spa or other amenities.
2. Events access with 24/7 concierge service
The Platinum Card® from American Express comes with preferred seating and presales for various entertainment. Or if you’re a foodie, the Global Dining Collection offers additional experiences at restaurants worldwide, including potentially meeting your favorite chef.
American Express also has “By Invitation Only” opportunities, which are once-in-a-lifetime experiences only offered to cardholders of The Platinum Card® from American Express and The Business Platinum® Card from American Express, such as the Kentucky Derby or Wimbledon.
You don’t even have time to book these events for yourself: Cardholders also get 24/7 concierge service to make any and all planning a breeze. Terms Apply.
3. Visit luxury lounges worldwide
The Platinum Card® from American Express offers access to more than 1,000 airport lounges worldwide, including the American Express Centurion lounges, Delta Sky Clubs, Priority Pass Select and International American Express Lounges. Terms Apply.
» Learn more: Which credit cards give you lounge access?
These lounges are the perfect place to relax between flights or to get work done in a calmer environment than the rest of the busy airport. Some even include complimentary spa services and shower suites.
The Platinum Card® from American Express can give a high-end feel to nearly any travel experience with its major perks. If you travel often and luxuriously, this card could be a great return on investment.
How to maximize your rewardsYou want a travel credit card that prioritizes what’s important to you. Here are our picks for the best travel credit cards of 2018, including those best for:
- Airline miles and a large bonus: Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card (Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®).
- Flat-rate travel rewards: Capital One® Venture® Rewards Credit Card (Earn unlimited 2 miles per dollar on every purchase).
- Premium travel rewards: Chase Sapphire Reserve® (Get 3 points per dollar on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide and 1 point per dollar on all other purchases).
- No annual fee: Bank of America® Travel Rewards credit card (Earn unlimited 1.5 points per dollar spent on all purchases, with no annual fee).
- Luxury perks: The Platinum Card® from American Express (Get 5 points per dollar on flights booked directly with airlines or through American Express Travel, plus get access to the Global Lounge Collection). Terms Apply.
Planning a trip? Check out these articles for more inspiration and advice:
Travel card perk: Spa service with AmEx Platinum
The best American Express credit cards of 2018
How to score luxury travel for less