- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Up to $200 for Uber rides annually. Credit and Uber VIP status available to Basic Card Member only.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on eligible hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- As a Platinum Card Member, you can enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Terms Apply.
- View Rates and Fees
- Luxury travel perks (Uber credit, airline fee credit, lounge access, etc.)
- High rewards rate in certain categories
- No foreign transaction fees
- High annual fee
- Airline fee credit is limited
- Low rewards rate on most spending
Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months. Terms Apply
1 Point for Every Dollar
Disclaimer: Any editorial content is not provided or commissioned by American Express. Opinions expressed here are author's alone, not those of American Express, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by American Express. This site may be compensated through the American Express Affiliate Program.
American Express has relaunched The Platinum Card® from American Express with a "new generation" of perks designed for those who enjoy the high-end lifestyle and aren't afraid to pay extra for it. In the case of this card, "extra" means a $550 annual fee.
The juiced-up rewards include a bigger sign-up bonus and the opportunity to earn 5 points per dollar on airfare and hotel stays (see above for details). But what really sets this card apart are its luxury perks, including an annual airline incidentals credit; access to more than 1,000 lounges worldwide; reimbursement for the application fee for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck; premier concierge service; VIP access to tickets and events; and various upgrades and free services at high-end hotels.
In short, The Platinum Card® from American Express isn't designed for people looking for discounts and freebies. It doesn't give you something for nothing. It's for people who want to get more out of the experiences they're already paying for.
Like any good travel card, it doesn't charge foreign transaction fees. But keep in mind that American Express isn't as widely accepted worldwide as Visa and Mastercard. So if you take this card overseas, make sure it isn't the only one in your wallet.
See our full review for additional information.
HEAR IT FROM NERDS WHO CARRY THE CARD
NerdWallet team members who carry The Platinum Card® from American Express say using the exclusive perks is the key to getting your money's worth:
NerdWallet reviews are the result of independent research by our editorial team while cardholder reviews are contributions from independent users not affiliated with NerdWallet. Banks, issuers and credit card companies are not responsible for any content posted on the NerdWallet site, nor do they endorse or guarantee any posted comments or reviews.