- Earn 25,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you use your new Card to make $2,000 in purchases within the first 3 months.
- 3X points for flights booked directly with airlines. 2X points at US restaurants, US gas stations, and at US supermarkets. 1X points on other purchases.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit. Up to $100 a calendar year for baggage fees at one airline.
- Get a $75 hotel credit on qualifying charges, plus a room upgrade upon arrival, when available with The Hotel Collection at americanexpress.com/hc.
- $0 Intro Annual Fee for the 1st year, then $195.
- Expanding merchant acceptance: Over 1 million more places in the U.S. started accepting American Express® Cards in the last year.
- Terms Apply.
- View Rates and Fees
- High rewards rate in certain categories
- $100 airline fee credit; hotel upgrades and credits
- No foreign transaction fees
- Transfer partners
- Annual fee after first year
- American Express isn’t accepted as widely as Visa or Mastercard internationally
- No lounge membership (although you do get passes)
Earn 25,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you use your new Card to make $2,000 in purchases within the first 3 months. Terms Apply
$0 for the first year, then $195
Disclaimer: Any editorial content is not provided or commissioned by American Express. Opinions expressed here are author's alone, not those of American Express, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by American Express. This site may be compensated through the American Express Affiliate Program.
If you're looking for a card with flexible travel redemption options, the Premier Rewards Gold Card from American Express may be your best go-to. Your Membership Rewards points can be redeemed for flights on several major domestic and international carriers, with no blackout dates and no seating restrictions. And, if you want, you can transfer rewards to 16 different airline programs, including Virgin America and Delta SkyMiles, and four hotel chains. The card also offers a big head start: You'll Earn 25,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you use your new Card to make $2,000 in purchases within the first 3 months. Terms Apply.
Aside from a flashy signup bonus, the Premier Rewards Gold Card from American Express has a competitive ongoing value, as well. You'll get 3 points per dollar when you book flights directly with airlines; 2 points per dollar at U.S. gas stations, U.S. supermarkets and U.S. restaurants; and 1 point per dollar on all other purchases, with no spending caps. The card can even help you trim hotel costs, offering a credit of up to $75 when you use it to book at least two consecutive nights at a hotel in American Express's Hotel Collection.
Keep in mind, the Premier Rewards Gold Card from American Express isn't for everyone. For some airlines, you may be able to get a better deal with a different card, and you may fetch more rewards with another offer if you don't fly often. But if you travel frequently and airline tickets are a major ongoing expense for you, this card is well worth its annual fee. Read the full review here.
NerdWallet reviews are the result of independent research by our editorial team while cardholder reviews are contributions from independent users not affiliated with NerdWallet. Banks, issuers and credit card companies are not responsible for any content posted on the NerdWallet site, nor do they endorse or guarantee any posted comments or reviews.