With either card, you’ll earn valuable and flexible Chase Ultimate Rewards® points that are worth a penny each when you redeem for cash. But the primary difference is in how the cards award those points based on your spending. Otherwise, many of their perks are the same.
Here are the benefits of the Chase Freedom® and the Chase Freedom Unlimited®.
|Chase Freedom®||Chase Freedom Unlimited®|
|Annual fee: $0.||Annual fee: $0.|
|Rewards: 5% cash back on rotating bonus categories (up to $1,500 in spending per quarter) each quarter you activate. 1% back on everything else.||Rewards: 1.5% cash back on all purchases.|
|Intro APR: 0% APR for 15 months on purchases and balance transfers, and then the ongoing APR of 16.49% - 25.24% Variable APR.||Intro APR: 0% APR for 15 months on purchases and balance transfers, and then the ongoing APR of 16.49% - 25.24% Variable APR.|
Points on your spending
The Chase Freedom® earns 5% cash back on up to $1,500 in combined purchases in rotating bonus categories each quarter you activate, and an unlimited 1% cash back on all other spending. Bonus categories in the past have included popular everyday expenses like gas, groceries, department stores and wholesale clubs.
The Chase Freedom Unlimited® earns 1.5% cash back on all purchases.
Rewards never expire as long as your account is open, which means you can take as long as you like to accumulate a splurge-worthy stash.
Multiple redemption options
Rewards earned on the Chase Freedom® and the Chase Freedom Unlimited® can be redeemed for straight cash back — the most flexible reward of all — at a rate of a penny per point. You can take your earnings as a statement credit, or choose a direct deposit into most U.S. checking or savings accounts.
There’s no minimum to redeem for cash back, so you can help yourself to your earnings whenever you like.
You can also redeem points for gift cards, travel or Apple purchases through the Chase portal, or redeem them on Amazon.com to pay for all or part of your purchase. Point values may vary for these options.
Transfers to other Chase cards
If you also have a Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card or a Chase Sapphire Reserve®, you can transfer the rewards you earn from your Freedom product to one of those Sapphire products and get a higher value per point for travel redemptions made through Chase.
Points transferred from either Freedom card to the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card are worth 25% more when redeemed for travel through the Chase portal. Points transferred to the Chase Sapphire Reserve® are worth 50% more when used for travel this way.
Getting something extra for your spending is always nice, and these cards come with a bonus offer for new cardholders: Earn a $150 Bonus after you spend $500 on purchases in your first 3 months from account opening.
• Benefits of the Alaska Airlines credit card
• Benefits of the American Express Gold Card
• Benefits of the American Express Platinum Card
• Benefits of the Bank of America Travel Rewards card
• Benefits of the Capital One Savor cards
• Benefits of the Capital One Venture card
• Benefits of the Capital One Quicksilver card
• Benefits of the Capital One Platinum card
• Benefits of the Chase Freedom and Freedom Unlimited cards
• Benefits of the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card
• Benefits of the Chase Sapphire Reserve card
• Benefits of the Citi Costco credit card
• Benefits of Citi Double Cash Card
• Benefits of Delta Air Lines credit cards
• Benefits of the Discover it Cash Back and Balance Transfer cards
• Benefits of Marriott Bonvoy credit cards
• Benefits of Southwest Airlines credit cards
• Benefits of United Airlines credit cards
0% intro APR offer
When you need a little extra breathing room to pay off a big purchase, or you’re trying to make some headway on existing debt, a 0% introductory APR offer could be a helping hand. Both cards come with identical introductory offers. Get 0% APR for 15 months on purchases and balance transfers, and then the ongoing APR of 16.49% - 25.24% Variable APR.
The Chase Freedom® and the Chase Freedom Unlimited® also come with some peace-of-mind benefits when you use them to make a purchase.
- Purchase protection: Your new purchase is covered for 120 days against damage or theft up to $500 per claim and $50,000 per account.
- Extended warranty protection: On eligible warranties of three years or less, you’ll get an additional year of coverage on the manufacturer’s warranty.
Remember that you don’t necessarily have to choose either the Chase Freedom® or the Chase Freedom Unlimited®. If you have both, you can use them in tandem to punch up your earning potential. Turn to the Chase Freedom® for spending in the 5% bonus categories, and use the Chase Freedom Unlimited® for everything else.