Now that the Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express has become the Marriott Bonvoy™ American Express® Card, it’s no longer accepting applications — but the card is offering a temporary incentive to existing customers who may be wondering whether they should keep their accounts open.
Starting Feb. 24, 2019, for a limited time, current Marriott Bonvoy™ American Express® cardholders will be eligible to earn up to 100,000 bonus points. Cardholders must register by May 31, 2019, for the offer. (The original end date for registration was April 7, but American Express has extended it through May.) The offer works this way:
- Earn 25,000 points for every $25,000 in eligible purchases on the card, up to four times, based on the total amount of purchases through Dec. 31.
- Terms apply.
The temporary incentive points are in addition to the card’s existing rewards structure:
- Earn 6 points per $1 spent at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels.
- Earn 2 points per $1 for other qualified spending.
To earn any bonus points under this offer, you must spend at least $25,000, and to earn the full 100,000-point bonus, you’d have to put $100,000 in spending on the card before the end of the year. That’s a high threshold, and even if you think you can meet it, this offer is only for existing cardholders. You can no longer apply for this card.
If you’ve been looking to apply for an American Express card under the Bonvoy umbrella, you do have other options, both of which feature generous welcome offers:
- The Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant™ American Express® Card (formerly known as the Starwood Preferred Guest® American Express Luxury Card).
- The Marriott Bonvoy Business™ American Express® Card (formerly known as the Starwood Preferred Guest® Business Credit Card from American Express).
Plus the Marriott Bonvoy Business™ American Express® Card offers an additional free night award after you spend $60K in purchases on your card in a calendar year.
A third card option is the Marriott Bonvoy Boundless™ Credit Card, formerly known as the Marriott Rewards® Premier Plus Credit Card. It comes with the following offer: Earn 75,000 Bonus Points after you spend $3,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening.
If none of these cards fits what you’re looking for, Chase says it plans to launch a fourth Marriott credit card in summer 2019, with no annual fee, although we don’t yet know the details.