USAA LIFE INSURANCE
- Rated 5 stars out of 5 for overall performance in NerdWallet’s analysis.
- Some policies not available in New York.
- Far fewer life insurance complaints to state regulators than expected for a company of its size.
USAA life insurance is designed specifically for active military members, veterans and their families — and the company sells its products only to them. Term and whole life policies are available nationwide, while universal life is available in every state except New York. With its offerings of potential free perks and wartime coverage, plus its strong financial standing and low number of complaints to insurance regulators, USAA is one of NerdWallet’s top-rated life insurance companies.
USAA life insurance
USAA life insurance earned 5 stars out of 5 for overall performance. NerdWallet’s ratings are determined by our editorial team. The scoring formula takes into account complaint data from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners and financial strength ratings.
Based on these ratings, USAA is among NerdWallet’s Best Life Insurance Companies for 2021.
USAA life insurance policies
USAA offers both term and whole life policies in all 50 states to veterans, military members and their families. All policies require a health questionnaire and medical exam before approval.
Term life insurance
Term life insurance policies are available for lengths of 10, 15, 20, 25 or 30 years. Depending on the state, you may receive additional benefits, including:
- Coverage while in war, which is often excluded from policies.
- A $25,000 payment if you suffer a severe injury while on active duty, including paralysis, loss of vision or severe burns.
- Guaranteed coverage after leaving the military.
- An option to add $100,000 in coverage if you have a baby, get married or buy a house between the ages of 18 and 35.
- The option to convert to a permanent policy.
- The option to convert your service members’ group life insurance (SGLI) to a USAA term life policy if you leave the military.
Permanent life insurance
Simplified whole life insurance policies are available for coverage limits up to $1 million. You have the option to make payments for 20 years, until age 65 or for the full duration of the policy. You can also increase coverage after certain life events, up to a total of six times, with a free life event option rider.
Universal life insurance policies come with flexible payment options and with a guaranteed interest rate of 2%. Universal life policies are not available in New York.
Depending on your state, USAA may offer additional riders, including:
- Child protection plan, which allows you to add all of your kids to your policy. Your children may have the option to convert it to their own policies when they’re older, regardless of their health.
- Waiver of premium benefit, which waives your premium should you become disabled.
» MORE: Compare life insurance quotes
Customer complaints for USAA
Over three years, USAA has drawn far fewer complaints to state regulators than expected for a company of its size for life insurance, according to a NerdWallet analysis of data from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners.
More about USAA life insurance
You can get a quote and apply for a life insurance policy, plus pay your bill and manage your account from the USAA website and iPhone and Android mobile apps. USAA also has a survivors relations team that can assist families of deceased USAA members, including help with any survivor benefits.
USAA auto and homeowners insurance
USAA offers auto and home insurance to active military members, veterans and their families. For more information, read our USAA insurance review.
|Other types of insurance from USAA include:|
|Renters insurance||Rental property insurance|
|Condo insurance||Flood insurance|
|Umbrella insurance||Motorcycle & RV insurance|
|Small business insurance||Boat insurance|
USAA life insurance pros and cons
|Far fewer life insurance complaints to state regulators than expected for a company of its size.||Some policies not available in New York.|
|Some policies include free perks, such as a $25,000 severe injury payment.|
|Option to add coverage after a major life event.|
Methodology: Life insurance ratingsNerdWallet’s life insurance ratings are based on weighted averages of financial strength ratings, which indicate a company’s ability to pay future claims, and complaint index scores from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners for individual life insurance. To calculate each insurer’s rating, we adjusted the scores to a curved 5-point scale.
These ratings are a guide, but we encourage you to shop around and compare several insurance quotes to find the best rate for you. NerdWallet does not receive compensation for any reviews.