NerdWallet offers financial tools and advice to help you understand your options and make the best possible decisions. The guidance we offer and information we provide are deeply researched, objective and independent.
We spent over 400 hours reviewing the top mortgage lenders before selecting the best for our readers. We’ve picked at least two lenders in several "best of" categories to help you find a lender that meets your needs.
For active military and veterans looking for a VA loan, finding the right lender is important. It can also be a challenge.
You want to work with a lender that knows the Department of Veterans Affairs mortgage program inside and out so you can benefit from its many perks. You also want one that can get you a mortgage as quickly and efficiently as possible.
NerdWallet picked some of the best mortgage lenders offering VA loans in a variety of categories so you can quickly decide which is right for you.
Best overall mortgage lenders for VA loans
Ideal for borrowers who are eligible for VA-guaranteed loans, with down payments as low as zero percent. Guaranteed Rate works with well-qualified borrowers who don't have much saved for a down payment.
Ideal for borrowers who want lots of options and a quick turn time. Fairway Independent Morgage offers a full selection of home loans along with a comprehensive mobile app for a fast and easy application process.
Ideal for borrowers who prefer a traditional bank. Bank of America offers a wide array of mortgages and online account management tools. It also has first-time home buyer loans with low down payments and no mandatory mortgage insurance.
Ideal for first-time home buyers or those with weaker credit. CitiMortgage, a large-scale lender with a full menu of home loan products, offers low down payment options and considers alternative credit data.
Best VA mortgage lenders: summary
- Best overall for VA mortgage experience: Veterans United Home Loans
- Best overall for VA mortgage experience: Navy Federal Mortgage
- Best for online VA mortgage experience: Quicken Loans
- Best for online VA mortgage experience: Guaranteed Rate
- Best for customer service: Veterans First Mortgage
- Best for customer service: Fairway Independent Mortgage
- Best for weaker credit borrowers: New American Funding
- Best for weaker credit borrowers: Alterra Home Loans
- Best for traditional bank: Bank of America Mortgage
- Best for traditional bank: CitiMortgage