NerdWallet offers financial tools and advice to help you understand your options and make the best possible decisions. The guidance we offer and information we provide are deeply researched, objective and independent.
We spent over 400 hours reviewing the top mortgage lenders before selecting the best for our readers. We’ve picked at least two lenders in several "best of" categories to help you find a lender that meets your needs.
For active military and veterans looking for a VA loan, finding the right lender is important. It can also be a challenge.
You want to work with a lender that knows the Department of Veterans Affairs mortgage program inside and out so you can benefit from its many perks. You also want one that can get you a mortgage as quickly and efficiently as possible.
NerdWallet picked some of the best mortgage lenders offering VA loans in a variety of categories so you can quickly decide which is right for you.
Best overall mortgage lenders for VA loans
These lenders specialize in VA-backed loans, and they have a lot of experience with military and veteran customers.
- Largest VA loan purchase lender in the nation
- Offers 24/7 customer service. Partners with veterans from all military branches to improve customer support.
- Provides a suite of other loan products, including FHA, USDA and conventional mortgages
- Veterans United Home Loans review
- Expert VA lender that also provides an array of mortgage services for military borrowers
- Uses an underwriting model that allows greater loan flexibility
- Low minimum loan amounts cater to first-time home buyers and others with affordability in mind
- Navy Federal Mortgage review
VA mortgage lenders with the best online experience
Web-savvy borrowers will find that these lenders have top-notch online tools and most, if not all, of their mortgage processes can be completed via computer or mobile.
- Experienced government lender with broad national reach
- Offers a variety of other mortgage loans and services
- Rocket Mortgage experience lets customers complete the mortgage process entirely online
- Quicken Loans review
- Expert VA lender with online application process, secure document uploads and digital signature acceptance
- Provides free credit scores from all three bureaus
- Has 170 branches across the country for in-person service
- Guaranteed Rate review
VA mortgage lenders with the best customer service
These lenders offer easy access to customer service for borrowers who are looking for a VA loan and prefer help from a human during the process.
- Experienced VA lender committed to giving borrowers personal attention
- Online and mobile features make it easy to access services from overseas
- No fixed minimum or maximum loan amounts
- Veterans First Mortgage review
- 24/7 customer service via call center, mobile app and email
- No application, origination or other lender fees
- Online application and loan tracking service
- Fairway Independent Mortgage review
Best VA mortgage lenders for borrowers with weaker credit
If you have bad credit, a short credit history or a nontraditional credit profile, these lenders might help you qualify for a VA loan.
- Uses manual underwriting to evaluate borrowers, which allows flexibility in loan approvals
- Established VA lender that offers a broad range of other loans, including FHA and conventional mortgages; minimum score 580
- Has multiple assistance and grant programs
- New American Funding review
- Government loan specialist offering VA, FHA and USDA loans, along with conventional mortgages
- Loans to borrowers with nontraditional credit, employment and income sources
- Has a mobile app and full online application and loan tracking
- Alterra Home Loans review
Best traditional banks offering VA loans
These lenders have a comprehensive list of loan products, experience with mortgage lending and branch offices all around the country.
- Expertise in VA loans and most other mortgage loans and services
- National network of mortgage specialists available to assist in the loan process
- Sophisticated and flexible online services
- Bank of America Mortgage review
- Experienced VA lender; offers a full line of mortgage products
- Considers alternative credit, including rent and child support payment history
- Available in all 50 states
- CitiMortgage review
Best VA mortgage lenders: summary
- Veterans United Home Loans: Overall VA mortgage experience
- Quicken Loans: Online VA mortgage experience
- Veterans First Mortgage: Customer service
- New American Funding: For weaker credit borrowers
- Navy Federal Mortgage: Overall VA mortgage experience
- Guaranteed Rate: Online VA mortgage experience
- Alterra Home Loans: For weaker credit borrowers
- Fairway Independent Mortgage: Customer service
- Bank of America Mortgage: Traditional bank
- CitiMortgage: Traditional bank