NerdWallet is here to help you win Black Friday, while leaving your budget intact. We spend the time, you save the money. Visit regularly for tips and announcements about the best holiday deals from your favorite retailers. Black Friday is Nov. 24.
Whether it’s a state-of-the-art model, a modestly priced Amazon Kindle Fire or any model in between, the tablet has been one of the most sought-after gifts since Apple released the first iPad in 2010.
Though there were tablet computers before the iPad, Apple was the first company to really get it right. Naturally, other brands, such as Samsung, Sony, Microsoft, Google and Amazon quickly followed.
But with so many options, how do you know which one to buy? Here are factors to weigh when choosing a tablet:
- What will your recipient be using it for? The sister who intends to use it as a laptop replacement has much different needs than the uncle who wants to use it primarily as a reader.
- Does it need to be compatible with a cellular network or is Wi-Fi enough? If it’s the former, will the recipient be happy about paying for a data plan?
- Finally, what’s your budget? Regardless of how much you plan on spending, Black Friday will probably get you the best pricing of the year.
Best Black Friday tablet deals 2017
Here are some of the best tablet bargains we’ve seen, sorted by brand:
- Fire 7 for $29.99 ($20 savings) from Amazon, Target, Best Buy and Staples
- Fire 7 Kids Edition for $69.99 ($30 savings) from Amazon and Target
- Fire HD 8 for $49.99 ($30 savings) from Amazon and Best Buy
- Fire HD 10 for $99.99 ($50 savings) from Amazon, Staples and Target
Apple iPad Tablets
- iPad 32GB for $249 (regularly $329) from Walmart
- iPad Mini 4 128GB for $274.99 (regularly $399.99) from Best Buy
- iPad Pro 10.5-inch starting at $529.99 ($120 savings) from Target; shoppers can purchase the tablet for up to $150 off at Best Buy
- Samsung Galaxy Tab E Lite 7-inch for $69.86 (regularly $99.86) at Sam’s Club
- Insignia 10.2-inch 32GB tablet for $69.99 (regularly $99.99) from Best Buy
- Samsung Galaxy Tab A 7-inch with bonus 16GB microSD card for $89.99 (regularly $139.99) from BJ’s Wholesale Club
- Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8-inch 16GB for $119.99 (regularly $199.99) from Best Buy
- Samsung Galaxy E 9.6-inch tablet for $139 (regularly $189); plus get $25 in Google Play credit as a bonus from Walmart
- Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1-inch for $179.99 (regularly $279.99); plus get a $20 Target gift card with purchase from Target
- Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 9.7-inch 32GB for $279.99 (regularly $499.99) from Best Buy
Before you purchase an extra warranty for a tablet (or any electronics you buy on Black Friday), see if your credit card offers a complimentary extended warranty.
Make your dollars count this Black Friday. Sign up with NerdWallet for quick and easy ways to save money. It’s free.