1. Don’t shop by percent-off numbers, shop by actual price paid. Retailers will inflate the “original” or “retail” price of certain items to have their percent-off discount appear larger.
2. Don’t panic if you miss Black Friday. The deals are almost sure to be there later in the holiday season, or even next year.
3. Look for doorbuster guarantees. Shop at retailers (such as Walmart) that will guarantee the advertised price of their doorbusters for shoppers arriving within a certain time frame, even if inventory runs out.
4. Bring the ads with you. Having the physical ad with you while you shop will ensure that you get the advertised price. Plus, you’ll have any in-ad coupons with you as well.
5. Don’t get duped into buying “derivative” products. Stores will sell cheaply made products, specifically manufactured for Black Friday and the holiday season, that closely resemble the real thing.
Holiday shopping bags image courtesy of Shutterstock.