American Express has teamed up with Uber to give customers more free rides each year. If you’re a frequent traveler or are partially dependent on the ride-hailing app to get around, the Uber Cash perk could be great for you.
As a cardholder of The Platinum Card® from American Express, you will receive $15 per month to use on Uber rides. You also get a $20 annual bonus in December, so apply for the card before December starts to earn the bonus this year ($35 total credits for the month). Terms Apply.
» Learn more: Earn Uber credits with your eligible Visa card
You have to select Uber Cash as your payment method in the Uber app if using AmEx dollars to pay for a ride. If you don’t have enough Uber Cash from this or other promotions, you’ll have to load more money onto your Uber Cash account with your AmEx, another card, Venmo balance or PayPal balance.
The good news is if you receive an Uber promotion from any other company, the money will go to your Uber Cash balance as well.
But if you have to load additional money to your Uber Cash account, you might as well get a bonus for reloads. Uber gives you an extra 50 cents for loading $25, $1.50 for loading $50 and $5 for loading $100.
How to maximize your rewardsYou want a travel credit card that prioritizes what’s important to you. Here are our picks for the best travel credit cards of 2018, including those best for:
- Airline miles and a large bonus: Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card (Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®).
- Flat-rate travel rewards: Capital One® Venture® Rewards Credit Card (Earn unlimited 2 miles per dollar on every purchase).
- Premium travel rewards: Chase Sapphire Reserve® (Get 3 points per dollar on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide and 1 point per dollar on all other purchases).
- No annual fee: Bank of America® Travel Rewards credit card (Earn unlimited 1.5 points per dollar spent on all purchases, with no annual fee).
- Luxury perks: The Platinum Card® from American Express (Get 5 points per dollar on flights booked directly with airlines or through American Express Travel, plus get access to the Global Lounge Collection). Terms Apply.
Planning a trip? Check out these articles for more inspiration and advice:
Travel rewards bucket list: Showering on a plane
How I flew for free: Round trip NYC to India using Chase Ultimate Rewards
This strategy is how I started earning major travel rewards