Nothing makes a vacation better than having your pet along for the trip, provided the destination has activities and dining options for your pet to enjoy with you.
Traveling with pets is so popular among travelers booking through Hotwire.com that more than 20% of bookings are for pet-friendly hotels even though only 10% of hotels are pet friendly. Four-star hotels are the most popular booked option.
Here are Hotwire’s top five most-booked destinations for pet-friendly travels:
1. Orlando, Florida
While Disney may not be pet friendly, Dinosaur World nearby in Plant City, Florida is. It’s a theme park with slides and life-sized dinosaur statues. There are even places for children to dig for gems and fossils while you wait to walk your dog through the prehistoric museum with animatronic dinosaurs.
Within Orlando, there are tons of dog-friendly restaurants because of the warm weather and abundance of outdoor seating.
During the summer, there are dog-friendly beaches, cruises and even Navy Pier allows pets. Winters can be harsh, though, so keep that in mind when planning a Midwest travel adventure.
3. Washington, D.C.
While there aren’t a lot of museums that allow dogs indoors, there is plenty to see outside. Bring your furry companion to the National Mall or to take in the cherry blossoms. If you want to experience a few of the indoor museums without leaving your dog in the hotel, check out Adventure DC tricycle Tours. Tour guides will walk your dog, prearranged, when you need to explore on your own.
Bring your pooch to the Kenilworth Park & Aquatic Gardens with lotus, bamboo and lots of dogs on leashes. It’s the perfect place for your buddy to smell a few new things, an experience no canine vacation should be without. Afterward, check out the dog-friendly beer garden, Wet Dog Tavern.
4. Los Angeles
Los Angeles has year-round amazing weather for outdoor patios, and there are enough dog-friendly beaches to have a top 10 list. But they also have a variety of dog fitness activities from hiking with different levels of expertise to full-on strength training for humans/off leash for canine workouts. You can also book your dog a swim therapy session at Two Legs Four Paws or let them relax in the “free swim” hours.
Where you eat depends on whether you’re more in the mood to explore a menu catering to canines or one with a little more atmosphere. The Lazy Dog Restaurant & Bar offers grilled chicken, hamburger patties or brown rice bowls, while Golden Road Brewing has astroturf and dog beds.
Any city can have dog-friendly outdoor patios, but Atlanta has one with a dog menu on a rooftop. The Buckhead location of Shake Shack is two stories with a rooftop area where dogs are welcome, and welcome to homemade vanilla custard with ShackBurger dog biscuits. There are amazing parks in the city such as the 22-acre Centennial Olympic Park.
How to maximize your rewardsYou want a travel credit card that prioritizes what’s important to you. Here are our picks for the best travel credit cards of 2018, including those best for:
- Airline miles and a large bonus: Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card (Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®).
- Flat-rate travel rewards: Capital One® Venture® Rewards Credit Card (Earn unlimited 2 miles per dollar on every purchase).
- Premium travel rewards: Chase Sapphire Reserve® (Get 3 points per dollar on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide and 1 point per dollar on all other purchases).
- No annual fee: Bank of America® Travel Rewards credit card (Earn unlimited 1.5 points per dollar spent on all purchases, with no annual fee).
- Luxury perks: The Platinum Card® from American Express (Get 5 points per dollar on flights booked directly with airlines or through American Express Travel, plus get access to the Global Lounge Collection). Terms Apply.
Planning a trip? Check out these articles for more inspiration and advice:
Travel rewards bucket list: Showering on a plane
How to snag credit card rewards flights in peak season
This strategy is how I started earning major travel rewards