Whether you’re a Lands’ End loyalist or you just enjoy the sturdy canvas bags and clothing that the retailer is known for, you may want to take a look at the $0-annual-fee Lands’ End® Visa® Credit Card.
Issued by Comenity Bank, the card offers discounts and deals valuable to anyone who frequents the store or website. But there are some restrictions to be aware of.
Here are five things to know about the Lands’ End® Visa® Credit Card.
1. It offers solid rewards rates at Lands’ End and on other purchases …
The main reason to get a credit card affiliated with your favorite place to shop is for the rewards and perks you get while shopping with that merchant. The Lands’ End® Visa® Credit Card earns:
- 5 points per $1 spent on all Lands’ End purchases, including in-store and online.
- 2 points per $1 spent at gas stations, restaurants and on travel (which includes car rentals, airlines, cruise lines, hotels, motels and resorts). All other spending earns 1 point per $1 spent.
- 1 point per $1 spent elsewhere.
2. … But there are redemption restrictions
Points are worth a penny each but are redeemable only for Rewards Certificates, which you can use only toward eligible purchases at Lands’ End stores, from the catalog and on LandsEnd.com.
There’s both a minimum redemption threshold and a cap: You must have accumulated at least 500 points first — which would equal a $5 Rewards Certificate — but the maximum for a Rewards Certificate is $500 per billing cycle.
Once you reach that $5 threshold, rewards are automatically sent to you each billing cycle. That’s good if you don’t want to be bothered with remembering to redeem; after all, the points you earn will expire 12 months after the date they were posted to your account, and Reward Certificates have to be used with 60 days from when they were issued.
But automatic redemption is not so good if you were planning to “bank” rewards over time and use them toward a major purchase.
In any case, you can use no more than four Reward Certificates per purchase, and you may not be allowed to combine them with other offers. Also, if a Reward Certificate value exceeds the cost of the purchase, you don’t get to keep the balance. It will be forfeited.
3. The perks can be valuable
In lieu of a traditional welcome offer of cash back or other rewards, the first Lands’ End order you place with your new Lands’ End® Visa® Credit Card will be half off. The card also offers the following incentives:
- Make your first purchase outside of the brand within 60 days of opening the account and get a $20 Lands’ End gift card.
- Pay with the card for a Lands’ End order of $100 or more during your birthday month and get $50 off your order.
- Get free shipping on all Lands’ End purchases without any minimum purchase restrictions.
All of these savings might make you feel OK about splurging on matching Christmas sweaters for you and your dog. But we would encourage you to think twice about that.
4. You can use it the same day you’re approved
If you’re approved, you can use the Land’s End® Visa® Credit Card that same day to make an online Lands’ End purchase.
You’ll have to wait until you receive the physical card in the mail to make a purchase anywhere else, including in a physical Lands’ End or other store or to place an order by phone.
5. Avoid carrying a balance
The Land’s End® Visa® Credit Card charges an APR that, on the high end of the range, can be more than 22% (as of November 2019). You’ll want to pay your balance in full and on time; otherwise, you’ll be charged interest that will eat away at the value of any rewards you might earn.