Amica boasts high customer satisfaction and a variety of coverage options that land it among our list of the top home insurance providers. Amica also offers discounts for things like paperless billing and automatic payments, which can be relatively easy to obtain.
Amica home insurance at a glance
Amica home insurance earned 5 out of 5 stars for overall performance. NerdWallet’s ratings are determined by our editorial team. The homeowners insurance scoring formula takes into account policy coverage options and discounts, ease of filing a claim, website transparency, the financial strength of the company, complaint data from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners and more.
Based on these considerations, Amica is among NerdWallet’s Best Home Insurance Companies for 2021.
Amica home insurance pros and cons
|High level of customer satisfaction.||Fewer discounts available for home insurance relative to other companies.|
|Large number of add-on coverage options.|
|Simple and efficient online claims filing and tracking.|
Amica home insurance state availability
Amica homeowners insurance is available in Washington, D.C., and all states except Alaska and Hawaii.
Amica home insurance coverage
You can customize your homeowners policy with numerous add-ons, but below are the types of coverage that generally come standard:
|Type of coverage||What it does|
|Dwelling||Pays to repair or rebuild the structure of your home.|
|Other structures||Covers damage to unattached structures such as a shed or fence.|
|Personal property||Pays to repair or replace personal belongings such as furniture or clothing.|
|Additional living expenses||Pays for hotel stays, restaurant meals or other expenses if you have to live elsewhere while your home undergoes covered repairs.|
|Liability||Covers legal expenses and damages if you're responsible for injuries to other people or their property.|
|Medical payments||Covers injuries to guests in your home, regardless of fault.|
For more details, see Homeowners Insurance: What It Is and What It Covers.
Amica also has several types of coverage you can add onto a standard policy, including:
- Dwelling replacement that pays up to 30% above your coverage limit to rebuild or repair your home.
- Personal property replacement to cover the cost of replacing or repairing personal items.
- Scheduled personal property for high-value items like jewelry.
- Catastrophic events in case of earthquakes or flooding.
- Identity fraud expense for unauthorized credit card charges and costs associated with restoring a stolen identity.
- Home business coverage for equipment and liability concerns that arise when running a business from your house.
Amica offers an upgraded homeowners policy called Platinum Choice, which takes the standard homeowners policy and adds on several other types of coverage. This policy will cover water damage resulting from a sewer or drain backup, damage to smart devices such as phones and laptops, and more. It also includes or extends coverage limits for some of the standard policy’s add-on features.
Amica also offers dividend policies. These offer the same coverage as traditional policies but require a higher premium. In return, dividend policies can refund money to you at the end of your policy period if the company has performed well. The amount is typically from 5% to 20% of the policy’s annual premium.
Amica’s home insurance discounts
Amica offers standard discounts for things like bundling home and auto insurance (or other Amica products), staying claim-free and maintaining safety devices in your home. Some discounts are fairly easy to obtain, such as the ones offered for receiving bills electronically or signing up for automatic bill payment.
Amica home insurance consumer complaints
Amica had fewer than the expected number of home insurance complaints to state regulators relative to its size, according to three years’ worth of data from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners. (NAIC home insurance complaints also cover other home policy types, including mobile home, renters and condo insurance.)
Amica home insurance consumer experience
Website: Amica’s website has home insurance quotes on the main page, and also offers customers the ability to file and track a claim online. The site includes a unique feature called Contractor Connection, which matches customers with home improvement specialists vetted by Amica.
App: The Amica app is available on iOS and Android. You can use the app to view bills and policies, make payments and file and track a claim.
Homeowners insurance buying guide
You can get home insurance quotes online, over the phone or through an agent. But before you start, take the following steps:
- Determine how much coverage you need. Is a standard policy sufficient, or do you want to add extra insurance for situations like identity theft or sewer backups? Check whether each company you’re considering has the options you need.
- Take inventory. To ensure you have sufficient personal property coverage, take stock of your belongings. Include all furniture, electronic devices, clothing, jewelry and household items. How much would it cost you to replace them? This total is the minimum amount of personal property insurance you should have.
- Make a fair comparison. When evaluating rates, make sure each insurer is offering the same limits and deductibles.
- Check consumer complaints. Although it may seem tempting simply to choose the cheapest option, look at how many consumer complaints each insurer has before choosing a policy. Poor customer service could have a significant impact on your experience if you ever need to file a claim.
Amica home insurance FAQ
What other types of insurance does Amica offer?
Amica offers several insurance products, including auto, life, umbrella and marine. Learn more in our Amica auto insurance review.
Where can I get an Amica home insurance quote?
Quotes are available through Amica’s website or by phone.
How do I file a home insurance claim with Amica?
Amica offers several ways to file a claim: over the phone, through its website or using its app.
Can I bundle Amica insurance policies?
Yes, Amica offers as much as a 30% discount for bundling home, auto, condo, renters, life or umbrella policies.
Other home insurance companies to consider
Not ready to make a decision? You may be interested in these other homeowners insurance companies: