Safeco is owned by Liberty Mutual, which makes it part of one of the largest insurance companies in the United States. Safeco home insurance offers several affordable add-ons like equipment breakdown and identity theft coverage. The company offers only a few discounts, however, so you may find it difficult to save much on your insurance premium.
Safeco home insurance pros and cons
|Inexpensive add-on coverage options.||Offers few discounts.|
|Many ways to file claims, including live video chat with a representative.|
How Safeco home insurance rates
Safeco homeowners insurance earned 4 out of 5 stars for overall performance. NerdWallet’s ratings are determined by our editorial team. The homeowners insurance scoring formula takes into account policy coverage options and discounts, ease of filing a claim, website transparency, the financial strength of the company, complaint data from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners and more.
Safeco home insurance state availability
Safeco home insurance is available in 47 states. It’s not available in Delaware, Florida, Hawaii or Washington, D.C.
Safeco home insurance coverage
You can customize your homeowners policy with numerous add-ons, but below are the types of coverage that generally come standard:
|Type of coverage||What it does|
|Dwelling||Pays to repair or rebuild the structure of your home.|
|Other structures||Covers damage to unattached structures such as a shed or fence.|
|Personal property||Pays to repair or replace personal belongings such as furniture or clothing.|
|Additional living expenses||Pays for hotel stays, restaurant meals or other expenses if you have to live elsewhere while your home undergoes covered repairs.|
|Liability||Covers legal expenses and damages if you're responsible for injuries to other people or their property.|
|Medical payments||Covers injuries to guests in your home, regardless of fault.|
For more details, see Homeowners Insurance: What It Is and What It Covers.
Safeco offers the standard types of home insurance coverage along with several optional features, including:
- Extra payouts for high-value items like jewelry and art.
- Repairs for any electrical or mechanical problems with household equipment.
- Additional coverage for your dwelling in case you exceed your policy limit.
- Reimbursement for money spent recovering from identity theft.
- The actual cost of replacing a damaged or lost personal item, rather than its present-day value.
- Connections to prescreened contractors for any repairs, with Safeco providing a warranty for the work.
Safeco also offers a single loss insurance deductible option for anyone who bundles home insurance with other Safeco policies. This means you’ll pay only one deductible even if you have to make multiple types of claims for a given incident. For example, if a tree falls and damages both your garage and car, you’ll need to cover only the home deductible rather than both the home and car deductibles.
Safeco also partners with American Home Shield to offer a home warranty in some states. For a fee, this service provides discounted repairs for wear and tear on household systems and appliances.
Safeco home insurance discounts
Safeco doesn’t have a huge array of price breaks on its home insurance, but you may be able to get discounts for:
- Installing a burglar alarm or sprinkler system.
- Up to 15% for bundling home and auto insurance.
- Buying a home that’s less than 10 years old.
- Getting a quote and enrolling in a new policy before your existing policy expires.
- Adding umbrella insurance from Safeco.
Safeco home insurance complaints
Safeco had fewer than the expected number of home insurance complaints to state regulators relative to its size, according to three years’ worth of data from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners. (NAIC home insurance complaints also cover other home policy types, including mobile home, renters and condo insurance.)
Safeco home insurance consumer experience
Website: You can get a quote, file a claim and pay your bill through Safeco’s website. Safeco also offers a blog that has a fairly deep library of articles, including many specific to homeowners insurance.
App: Safeco’s app is available for iOS and Android. You can use it to file a claim, pay your bill, view policy documents and more.
Homeowners insurance buying guide
You can get home insurance quotes online, over the phone or through an agent. But before you start, take the following steps:
- Determine how much coverage you need. Is a standard policy sufficient, or do you want to add extra insurance for situations like identity theft or sewer backups? Check whether each company you’re considering has the options you need.
- Take inventory. To ensure you have sufficient personal property coverage, take stock of your belongings. Include all furniture, electronic devices, clothing, jewelry and household items. How much would it cost you to replace them? This total is the minimum amount of personal property insurance you should have.
- Make a fair comparison. When evaluating rates, make sure each insurer is offering the same limits and deductibles.
- Check consumer complaints. Although it may seem tempting simply to choose the cheapest option, look at how many consumer complaints each insurer has before choosing a policy. Poor customer service could have a significant impact on your experience if you ever need to file a claim.
Safeco home insurance FAQ
What other types of insurance does Safeco offer?
Safeco offers insurance for a variety of vehicles, including cars, motorcycles, RVs and more. It also offers renters, condo, landlord, personal umbrella and other types of insurance.
How can I get a Safeco home insurance quote?
You can get a Safeco home insurance quote through its website or by calling a representative.
Where do I submit a claim?
You can file a claim through the website or mobile app, by calling an agent or using Safeco’s video chat service.
Other home insurance companies to consider
Not ready to make a decision? You may be interested in these other homeowners insurance companies: