NerdWallet offers financial tools and advice to help you understand your options and make the best possible decisions. The guidance we offer and info we provide are deeply researched, objective and independent.
We spent over 400 hours reviewing the top mortgage lenders before selecting the best for our readers. We’ve picked at least two lenders for five 'best of' categories to help you find the lender that best meets your needs.
» MORE: Lower your debt load
NerdWallet has picked some of the best USDA mortgage lenders in a variety of categories to help you decide which is the right lender for you.
Best USDA mortgage lenders for borrowers with weaker credit
These USDA lenders help borrowers with limited credit histories, weak or damaged credit or a nontraditional credit profile.
- Uses manual underwriting to evaluate borrowers, which allows flexibility in loan approvals
- Offers full online mortgage application, rate quotes, document upload and loan tracking
- Charges a flat, low origination fee instead of the 1% of the loan amount you often see
- New American Funding review
- Specializes in loans to borrowers with lower credit scores; minimum score of 550 in some cases
- Participates in down payment assistance programs through housing authorities in some states
- Requires online education course for borrowers
- Carrington Mortgage review
Best overall mortgage lenders for USDA loans
These USDA lenders are highly rated by NerdWallet and their customers, offer accessible customer support and provide easy-to-use websites with online mortgage applications and tools.
- Full online application process, secure document uploads and digital signature acceptance
- Boasts a 95% customer satisfaction rate
- Has more than 3,400 employees in 205 offices across the country for in-person service
- Guaranteed Rate review
- Offers borrowers assistance at every point during the mortgage process
- Website offers educational materials and a streamlined loan process
- Provides customer service in its physical locations, online and via chat or phone
- SunTrust mortgage review
USDA mortgage lenders with the best online experience
These lenders offer a fast, automated mortgage process that borrowers can complete via computer or mobile phone.
- Licensed in all 50 states, Washington, D.C., Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands
- Operates as a mortgage marketplace that gives you access to multiple lenders in one place
- Has a robust, mobile-enhanced website that automates the mortgage application process
- Costco mortgage review
- Provides a completely digital mortgage platform
- Provides free credit scores from all three bureaus
- Has hundreds of high marks and positive reviews on sites such as the Better Business Bureau, Yelp and LendingTree
- Guaranteed Rate review
USDA mortgage lenders with the best customer service
These lenders are ideal for USDA loan borrowers who want help from a human during the mortgage process and easy access to customer service.
- 24/7 customer service via call center, mobile app and email
- No application, origination or other lender fees
- Online application and loan tracking service
- Fairway Independent Mortgage review
- Loan officers guide you through the process
- Has a full online application and a mobile app that allows loan tracking for all parties involved, plus communication with your loan officer
- Lends to borrowers with nontraditional credit, employment or income sources
- Alterra Home Loans review
Best traditional USDA lenders
These traditional USDA mortgage lenders have branch locations nationwide for in-person service.
- The leading originator and servicer of residential mortgages for 24 out of the past 25 years
- You have to apply in person or on the phone but you can track your mortgage progress online
- Minimum credit score of 620, though alternative credit data may be considered for certain loan products
- Wells Fargo mortgage review
Best USDA mortgage lenders: summary
- Guaranteed Rate: Overall
- SunTrust: Overall
- Costco: Online experience
- Guaranteed Rate: Online experience
- Fairway Independent Mortgage: Customer service
- Alterra Home Loans: Customer service
- Wells Fargo: Traditional
- PNC Mortgage: Traditional
- New American Funding: Weaker credit
- Carrington Mortgage: Weaker credit