Walmart not only has an expansive inventory, but also many services that help shoppers unearth low prices.
Knowing how to guarantee free shipping or navigate the website and app are some of the ways you can increase your chances of walking away with a deal. Here’s how to get started.
1. Download the Walmart app
- It lets you create a shopping list, which can help you stick to a plan and avoid impulse purchases.
- You can view the weekly ad to see what’s on sale at your local store, plus browse savings by category.
- The Savings Catcher feature can potentially get you a price adjustment after you make a Walmart store purchase using Walmart Pay. Submit your receipt, and Savings Catcher will search competitor ads for lower prices on the qualifying items you bought. It refunds you the difference on a Walmart e-gift card, which you can use for future in-store or online purchases.
2. Explore the discounts on Walmart.com
The Walmart website also lists deals. The all departments page, which you can access from the website’s drop-down menu, features a “Big Savings” section with a few options. Here you’ll find links to the clearance, rollbacks and special buys pages, where you can see an assortment of marked-down products across all categories. Also under this section are value bundles, package deals on multiple or complementary items, like two pairs of jeans or a combo of bookshelves.
Walmart’s “Dare to Compare” page highlights products that it sells at the same price as or less than competitors.
Walmart’s “Dare to Compare” page highlights products that it sells at the same price as or less than competitors like Amazon, Best Buy and Target. For additional savings, check the weekly ad and coupons pages for your local store by entering your zip code, and subscribe to email newsletters using the box located at the bottom of the website.
» MORE: How to coupon at Walmart
3. Take advantage of free shipping
Factor in the cost of delivery when you compare prices among retailers. Walmart will cover your shipping costs if you meet the minimum threshold. The retail giant offers free two-day shipping on select online orders of $35 or more, no membership required. Millions of items qualify across multiple categories, including food, household goods, clothing and jewelry. Filter your search or look for items with the “2-day shipping” mark.
Orders of $35 or more will receive free standard shipping if the items are not eligible for two-day shipping.
» MORE: Target’s Cartwheel App Review
4. Shop at the right time
Walmart sales mainly pop up near major holidays and popular shopping events. Keep an eye out for items on your list around these times in particular:
- Black Friday: Walmart is one of the top Black Friday players. It slashes prices on just about everything around Thanksgiving, including TVs, computers, toys and more. The following week’s Cyber Monday sale and December’s Green Monday also feature major discounts on electronics and other items, available mostly online.
- July: This typically slow shopping month can be a good time to score deals. In the past, Walmart has launched sales and promotions in early or mid-July to compete with Amazon’s annual Prime Day event and other retailers’ Christmas or Black Friday in July sales. We’ve seen Walmart offer discounted electronics and free shipping on all purchases.
- Back to school season: The retail chain offers school supply deals in the summer, usually in August and September.
5. Consider a Walmart rewards card
If Walmart is your main shopping destination, applying for a store credit card might be a good call. Walmart card benefits include savings on gas and other purchases at the big-box store and other retailers. But look into alternatives before you apply.
6. Buy refurbished products
Save money by purchasing pre-owned electronics rather than buying new. Visit Walmart’s certified refurbished page to find discounted prices on “like new” computers, smartphones, tablets and more.
» MORE: 12 ways to save on groceries
7. Use price matching
Research prices elsewhere, especially for big-ticket items, before and after you make a purchase. Walmart will match competitor prices in some cases when you shop online or in store. Read more about the price matching policy on its website.
8. Trade in your electronics
Perhaps you have an old smartphone or tablet lying around. If so, consider trading it in online or at a participating Walmart store in exchange for an e-gift card that you can put toward your next purchase.
Ready to save?
When and how you shop at Walmart are key to saving money. Start by using the Walmart app to make a list and search for discounts. Besides checking the usual places for savings — like the clearance and coupons sections — consider other ways to pay less, including buying refurbished tech, taking advantage of price matching or trading in your electronics.