Ride-sharing service Lyft is rolling out a new customer loyalty program, Lyft Rewards, beginning (slowly) this month.
Here are five things you need to know:
1. You could get an email soon
Lyft riders should be on the lookout for an email from the company about Lyft Rewards, a program that will let riders earn points and perks.
But there’s an air of mystery to the rollout. Certain riders (Lyft isn’t saying who) in certain cities (Lyft isn’t saying where) will start getting emails in December of 2018 offering them details on how to participate in the new program.
2. You might not get an email for a while
Eventually, everyone will be welcome to take part. But we don’t know yet when Lyft plans to fully implement the program.
3. Every rider can get rewarded for every ride
Lyft Rewards is separate from the company’s existing programs, the All-Access Plan for frequent riders, Business Rewards for customers who ride using their Lyft business profile, and a Delta Air Lines partnership that pays SkyMiles to participating riders. Unlike those programs, the new Lyft Rewards will let anyone earn rewards for every ride.
4. You’ll earn credits good for ride discounts and upgrades
For every dollar spent with Lyft, Rewards members will earn points that can be used for discounts on future rides, upgrades to Lyft Lux and access to high-demand drivers.
5. Specifics will be announced … eventually
The number of points you earn when you ride, how much those points are worth, how to earn upgrades and other benefits — all those details have yet to be announced. Expect more information in 2019.
How to maximize your rewardsYou want a travel credit card that prioritizes what’s important to you. Here are our picks for the best travel credit cards of 2020, including those best for:
- Airline miles and a large bonus: The Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- No annual fee: The Wells Fargo Propel American Express® card
- Flat-rate rewards with no annual fee: The Bank of America® Travel Rewards credit card
- Premium travel rewards: The Chase Sapphire Reserve®
- Luxury perks: The Platinum Card® from American Express
- Business travelers: The Ink Business Preferred® Credit Card
Planning a trip? Check out these articles for more inspiration and advice:
Travel rewards bucket list: Showering on a plane
How to snag credit card rewards flights in peak season
This strategy is how I started earning major travel rewards