Is snorkeling with sea lions near the Galápagos Islands on your bucket list?
If so, you’re in luck.
JetBlue can now take you to Guayaquil, Ecuador, nonstop with its newest route from Fort Lauderdale.
Tickets are on sale for travel beginning Feb. 28, 2019, between Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport and Guayaquil’s José Joaquín de Olmedo International Airport. JetBlue is offering an introductory fare starting at $89 one way. Additionally, travelers coming from major U.S. cities will benefit from connections through the new route.
Guayaquil, a port city known as a gateway to beautiful Pacific beaches and easy access to the Galápagos Islands, becomes JetBlue’s sixth destination in South America and second in Ecuador. The airline has routes to 22 countries and more than a dozen routes to the Caribbean and cities in Mexico, Peru, Costa Rica and Colombia.
The new service will be operated on JetBlue’s Airbus A320 aircraft. The airline is known for having the most legroom in economy seating (33-34 inches).
Travelers will not be able to purchase JetBlue fares from online travel agencies like Orbitz and Priceline as the airline cut ties with several sites in October 2017 in an effort to lower costs. And flights departing from Guayaquil’s José Joaquín de Olmedo International Airport will be more expensive because of higher government taxes/fees.
Yet, American travelers will be able to forget currency exchange worries because Ecuador uses the U.S. dollar. Bonus tip: It’s always smart to check what credit cards are best for international travel before hopping on the plane.
How to maximize your rewardsYou want a travel credit card that prioritizes what’s important to you. Here are our picks for the best travel credit cards of 2018, including those best for:
- Airline miles and a large bonus: Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card (Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®).
- Flat-rate travel rewards: Capital One® Venture® Rewards Credit Card (Earn unlimited 2 miles per dollar on every purchase).
- Premium travel rewards: Chase Sapphire Reserve® (Get 3 points per dollar on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide and 1 point per dollar on all other purchases).
- No annual fee: Bank of America® Travel Rewards credit card (Earn unlimited 1.5 points per dollar spent on all purchases, with no annual fee).
- Luxury perks: The Platinum Card® from American Express (Get 5 points per dollar on flights booked directly with airlines or through American Express Travel, plus get access to the Global Lounge Collection). Terms Apply.
Planning a trip? Check out these articles for more inspiration and advice:
Travel rewards bucket list: Showering on a plane
How I flew for free: Round trip NYC to India using Chase Ultimate Rewards
This strategy is how I started earning major travel rewards