NerdWallet is here to help you win Black Friday, while leaving your budget intact. We spend the time, you save the money. Visit regularly for tips and announcements about the best holiday deals from your favorite retailers. Black Friday is Nov. 23.
If last year was any indication, the best cell phone deals will likely come from retailers rather than carriers. Electronics sellers and wholesale clubs offered gift cards valued from $100 to $300 with purchase of new phones, such as the iPhone 8 and Samsung Galaxy S8.
It’s always a good idea to read the fine print when looking at cell phone deals. Often you’ll find that a good deal on a phone means committing to a certain wireless carrier or plan to get the full benefit. You might be able to save money upfront but lose out in the long run.
Best Black Friday cell phone deals, 2018
Still waiting for the best 2018 Black Friday cell phone deals? So are we. Keep checking back, because we’ll post them here as soon as we get the details. In the meantime, take a look at what happened in 2017 for an idea of what you can expect this year.
Best Black Friday cell phone deals, 2017
Take a look at last year’s highlights below:
- Target offered a $250 Target gift card free with purchase of the iPhone 8 or iPhone 8 Plus when activated on Verizon, Sprint or AT&T networks.
- The iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus were up to $200 off with qualified activation on Verizon, AT&T or Sprint at Best Buy.
- At Walmart, AT&T and Verizon customers on qualifying payment plans could pay $0 down and score a $300 Walmart gift card with activation of the iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus or iPhone X.
- Sam’s Club shoppers got a $100 gift card with purchase and activation of select iPhones on an installment plan.
- The unlocked Samsung Galaxy S8 or S8 Plus was $150 off at Microsoft.
- Shoppers got a free $300 Target gift card with activation of Samsung Galaxy Note8, Galaxy S8 or Galaxy S8 Plus at Target through Verizon, AT&T or Sprint.
- Best Buy gave Samsung fans a couple of deals to choose from: Save $300 on the Samsung Galaxy Note8, S8 or S8 plus with qualified activation on Verizon or Sprint — or — save $150 with the purchase of these phones unlocked.
- For those who switched to Sprint, the network cut monthly payments in half for the Samsung Galaxy Note8, Galaxy S8, Galaxy S8 Plus or the new Galaxy S8 Active with Sprint Flex. Sprint had a similar deal on the Moto Z2 force edition: Switch to the network and save 50% on monthly payments with Sprint Flex lease, plus get a free MotoMod.
Check out our complete Black Friday coverage for up-to-date deal news from a wide range of retailers.