NerdWallet is here to help you win Black Friday, while leaving your budget intact. We spend the time, you save the money. Visit regularly for tips and announcements about the best holiday deals from your favorite retailers. Black Friday is Nov. 24.
If last year was any indication, finding a discounted iPhone 8 with no strings attached might prove difficult this Black Friday. Retailers last year were offering $250 gift cards with the iPhone 7, or a free iPhone 7 in exchange for an old smartphone and a two-year commitment. Android users should have an easier time finding deals.
It’s always a good idea to read the fine print when looking at cell phone deals. Often you’ll find that a good deal on a phone means jumping through several hoops and possibly a long-term commitment to a wireless carrier to get the full benefit. You might be able to save money upfront but lose out in the long run.
NerdWallet members can free up money in their holiday budgets by lowering their cell phone, cable and internet bills. See how much you could save.
Best Black Friday cell phone deals 2017
We’ve kept a close eye on retailers’ ads to find attractive cell phone deals. Take a look at the highlights below:
- Target is offering a $250 Target gift card free with purchase of the new iPhone 8 or iPhone 8 Plus when activated on Verizon, Sprint or AT&T networks
- Save up to $200 on the iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus with qualified activation on Verizon, AT&T or Sprint at Best Buy
- Save $150 on the iPhone 6S, starting at $9.99 per month, with qualified activation on Verizon, AT&T or Sprint at Best Buy
- At Walmart, AT&T and Verizon customers on qualifying payment plans can pay $0 down and score a $300 Walmart gift card with activation of the iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus or iPhone X.
- Sam’s Club shoppers will get a $100 gift card with purchase and activation of select iPhones on an installment plan
Check out additional iPhone deals here.
- Save $150 on the unlocked Samsung Galaxy S8 or S8 Plus from Microsoft
- Get a free $300 Target gift card with activation of Samsung Galaxy Note8, Galaxy S8 or Galaxy S8 Plus at Target through Verizon, AT&T or Sprint
- Best Buy is giving Samsung fans a couple of deals to choose from: save $300 on the Samsung Galaxy Note8, S8 or S8 plus with qualified activation on Verizon or Sprint — or — save $150 with the purchase of these phones unlocked
- Receive a $300 Walmart gift card with activation of select Samsung phones on qualifying payment plans through AT&T and Verizon at Walmart
- Get a $300 Sam’s Club gift card and waived activation when you buy any Samsung smartphone on installment at Sam’s Club
- Switch to Sprint, and the network will cut your monthly payments in half for the Samsung Galaxy Note8, Galaxy S8, Galaxy S8 Plus or the new Galaxy S8 Active with Sprint Flex. Sprint has a similar deal on the Moto Z2 force edition: Switch to the network and save 50% on monthly payments with Sprint Flex lease, plus get a free MotoMod.
- Newegg has bargains on several unlocked phones. Among the deals: the Moto G5 Plus for $224.99 ($75 savings), the Moto Z for $429.99 ($270 savings) and the Huawei Mate 9 for $399.99 ($100 savings).
- Purchase the LG V30 or V30 Plus and a second qualifying LG product and get up to a $400 rebate in the form of a prepaid Visa card. This deal is available on one or both of these phones through AT&T, Sprint, Verizon and T-Mobile. Check with each carrier for details.
Before you purchase an extra warranty for a cell phone (or any electronics you buy on Black Friday), see if your credit card offers a complimentary extended warranty.
Best Black Friday cell phone deals 2016
- Verizon offered a free high-end smartphone when you traded in particular older models, provided you stay with Verizon for two years
- Sprint offered 50% off the new HTC Bolt handset (which retailed at $600) with the activation of a new line of service
- If you bought a 256 gigabyte iPhone 7 from Best Buy, you got a $250 Best Buy gift card
- Walmart’s Black Friday deals included a $250 gift card when you bought any Apple or Samsung phone, provided you agreed to pay off the phone with a monthly installment plan from AT&T or Verizon.