Don’t let the name fool you. Auto-Owners Insurance covers much more than cars. In fact, Auto-Owners home insurance is worth considering, thanks to a variety of coverage options.
The company offers many ways to save on your premium, with discounts for things like burglar and fire alarms and a history of paying your premiums on time. The Homeowners Plus add-on includes coverage for appliance leaks that lead to property damage and wasted food in the event of a power failure.
Specialty coverage for high-value homes and equipment breakdown is also available.
Auto-Owners home insurance at a glance
Auto-Owners home insurance earned 4 out of 5 stars for overall performance. NerdWallet’s ratings are determined by our editorial team. The homeowners insurance scoring formula takes into account policy coverage options and discounts, ease of filing a claim, website transparency, the financial strength of the company, complaint data from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners and more.
Pros and cons
|Large number of discounts.||Only available in about half of U.S. states.|
|Has optional specialty coverage not offered by many other insurers.||No online quotes or claims submission.|
|Few consumer complaints.|
Auto-Owners home insurance is available in 26 states.
The Auto-Owners homeowners insurance policy has all the usual coverage, plus several coverage options you can add on to your standard policy:
- Guaranteed home replacement cost in case your dwelling coverage isn’t enough to repair or rebuild your home.
- Water backup for damage caused by backed up sewers or drains.
- Special personal property helps repair or replace your personal items in situations not normally covered by homeowners insurance, like misplacement or stains.
- Ordinance or law pays when you spend more to bring your home up to current codes following a covered event.
- Homeowners Plus helps cover damage from appliance leaks and spoiled food after a power outage, among other things.
- Equipment breakdown for electrical or mechanical failure of appliances in your home, such as HVAC units or even personal computers.
- Identity theft expense for costs up to $15,000 related to restoring your identity after it has been stolen.
Auto-Owners’ average home insurance rate is $1,546 per year, according to a NerdWallet analysis. That makes Auto-Owners one of the cheapest options among large insurers who offer homeowners policies in many of the same states.
Here’s a comparison:
Auto-Owners offers many discounts, several of which can be obtained with little or, in some cases, no effort based on your previous insurance history. These include:
- Green discount if you choose paperless billing and online payments.
- Favorable loss history if you haven’t made a large number of claims in the past.
- Payment history if you’ve paid premiums on time over the past three years.
Discounts are also available for bundling your home insurance policy with certain Auto-Owners insurance products, paying your entire annual premium up front and installing protective devices like deadbolt locks and smoke detectors.
Auto-Owners had fewer than the expected number of home insurance complaints to state regulators relative to its size, according to three years’ worth of data from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners. (NAIC home insurance complaints also cover other home policy types, including mobile home, renters and condo insurance.)
Website: It isn’t possible to get a home insurance quote through Auto-Owners’ website. If you live in a state where Auto-Owners provides coverage, you’ll be directed to contact one of its agents to finalize the rate. Similarly, you can only file claims by contacting an agent. However, once the claim has been filed you can track it online.
App: The Auto-Owners app is available on Android or iOS. It can be used to pay bills, track claims and view policy documents.
Frequently asked questions
What other types of insurance does Auto-Owners offer?
Auto-Owners has a wide variety of insurance products, including auto insurance, renters insurance, and term and whole life insurance, among many others.
How do I file a claim?
To file a claim, you must contact an independent agent. Once the claim has been filed, you can track it through the Auto-Owners website or mobile app.
How do I get a quote?
The only way you can get a quote for homeowners insurance with Auto-Owners is to contact one of its agents.