American Express is getting personal with its newest small-business credit card. The American Express® Business Gold Card, with an annual fee of $295, will automatically change cardholders’ bonus categories each month based on their spending patterns.product change to the American Express® Business Gold Card, according to Courtney Kelso, head of U.S. commercial card products at American Express.
The new metal card earns 4 Membership Rewards points per dollar spent in two bonus categories from the following six where cardholders spend the most each billing cycle (up to the first $150,000 in combined purchases per year; then 1 point back):
- Airfare purchased directly from airlines.
- U.S. purchases at restaurants.
- U.S. purchases for advertising in select media (online, TV, radio).
- U.S. purchases at gas stations.
- U.S. purchases made directly from select technology providers of computer hardware, software and cloud solutions.
- U.S. purchases for shipping.
Other spending earns 1 point per dollar spent. Terms apply.
“Card members do not have to manage on a month-to-month basis where they’re going to earn the most,” Kelso says. “It’s automatically calculated for them.”
Other card perks
The American Express® Business Gold Card also offers:
- A 25% airline bonus on qualifying airfare purchases booked through American Express Travel, up to 250,000 points back per calendar year.
- No foreign transaction fees.
- Terms apply.
And, for a limited time, new cardholders will also get:
- A one-year free subscription for G Suite Basic, a software collaboration program, for a maximum of three users.
- A one-year free subscription of ZipRecruiter Standard, an online employment marketplace.
- Terms apply.
These extras are in lieu of a traditional welcome offer of bonus points and are intended to position the American Express® Business Gold Card as a “solutions set for businesses trying to manage their productivity and growth,” and not just a method of payment, Kelso says.
A trend toward customized rewards
The American Express® Business Gold Card joins a growing list of cards that offer some variation of tailored-for-you rewards. Other similarly structured options include the U.S. Bank Business Leverage™ Visa Signature® Card and the U.S. Bank FlexPerks® Travel Rewards Visa Signature® Card.
AmEx also offers the SimplyCash® Plus Business Credit Card from American Express, which pays 5% cash back on the first $50,000 spent on eligible U.S. wireless telephone services, 3% cash back on the first $50,000 spent in the category of your choice from a list of eight, and 1% cash back on other purchases. Terms apply.
A notable difference between that card and the American Express® Business Gold Card is that with the SimplyCash® Plus Business Credit Card from American Express, you can choose only once per year which category you want for the 3% earnings rate. The American Express® Business Gold Card will automatically adjust each month based on your spending.