With its competitive rates, wide range of coverage options and robust mobile app, Allstate home insurance is worth considering. You can get a quote online or talk to a local agent to talk through your alternatives.
Allstate is the nation’s second-largest home insurer and sells various insurance and financial products such as car and life insurance, IRAs and 529 plans. If you’re looking for a well-known company you can get all your policies from, Allstate might be a good fit.
Allstate homeowners insurance
Allstate homeowners insurance earned 4.5 stars out of 5 for overall performance. NerdWallet’s ratings are determined by our editorial team. The scoring formula takes into account coverage and discounts, ease of filing a claim, website transparency, financial strength, complaint data from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners and more.
Allstate homeowners insurance coverage
In addition to dwelling coverage, liability insurance and other standard elements of a homeowners policy, Allstate offers these optional add-ons for those seeking extra coverage:
- Identity theft restoration, which pays legal fees and other costs if your identity is stolen.
- Water backup coverage for damage caused by a backed-up drain or broken sump pump.
- Increased coverage for valuable items like sports equipment, musical instruments, jewelry or antiques. An appraisal may be required.
- Business property coverage, which offers higher limits for business-related items stored in your home.
- Green improvement reimbursement, which pays to replace damaged items with energy-efficient versions after a covered claim.
- Yard and garden coverage, which raises your limits on items like trees, plants and lawn mowers.
- Electronic data recovery coverage to pay for lost photos, videos or other files on your personal computer.
- Reimbursement provision, which pays you back for brand-new replacements for items stolen or destroyed in a covered claim after you furnish a receipt. If you choose not to replace an item, Allstate will cover its depreciated value.
- HostAdvantage, which is designed for those who temporarily rent out their homes through Airbnb or similar services. This home-sharing insurance pays out if renters destroy or steal your personal property, which homeowners insurance doesn’t cover, up to $10,000 per rental host period.
You can also upgrade your policy with the Enhanced Package, which includes three benefits. The Deductible Rewards feature takes $100 off your deductible as soon as you sign up, plus an additional $100 off for each year you go claim-free, up to a total of $500. You’ll also get 5% off your annual renewal rate if you didn’t file a claim in the previous year. And if you do file a claim, your rates won’t go up unless you exceed one in a five-year period.
Not all optional coverage types are available in all states.
Allstate homeowners insurance discounts
Allstate offers a variety of ways to save on homeowners insurance, which differ by state but may include the following discounts:
- Multipolicy discount.
- Claim-free discount.
- Discount for paying in full or through an escrow account.
- Discount for buying a newly constructed home.
- Recent home buyer discount.
- Welcome and loyalty discounts.
- Autopay discount.
- Discount for safety and security devices.
- Early signing discount for getting a new policy at least a week before the previous one expires.
Allstate homeowners insurance rates
NerdWallet compared Allstate’s average home insurance rates to those of four widely available insurers across the U.S. At $1,606 a year, Allstate’s rate was slightly lower than the national average ($1,631) and cheaper than most of its competitors’ in this mini-analysis. Of the four other companies we compared, only State Farm was less expensive, with an average premium of $1,596 per year.
Our sample rates were calculated for 40-year-old homeowners with a $1,000 deductible, $300,000 in dwelling coverage and $300,000 in liability insurance. Your own rates will be different.
Allstate complaints and customer satisfaction
Allstate had fewer than the expected number of complaints to state regulators relative to its size for home insurance, according to three years’ worth of data from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners.
The company was rated above average for customer satisfaction in J.D. Power’s 2020 homeowners insurance study and about average in its property claims study.
» MORE: Allstate auto insurance review
More about Allstate
Website: Allstate’s site makes it easy to file and track claims, get a quote and pay your bill. It’s also got an extensive collection of articles, videos, quizzes and calculators to help you learn more about home insurance.
Mobile app: You can pay bills, view policy documents, contact your agent and file claims through Allstate’s app. The Digital Locker feature is particularly useful for homeowners, guiding you through the process of making a home inventory in case your belongings are ever destroyed in a disaster.
Other Allstate insurance policies
|Auto insurance||Life insurance|
|Renters insurance||Condo insurance|
|Motorcycle insurance||Business insurance|
|Boat insurance||Snowmobile insurance|
|RV insurance||ATV insurance|
|Landlord insurance||Umbrella insurance|
Recap: Allstate pros and cons
|Lots of discounts available||Rated about average for property claims|
|Useful home inventory tool on mobile app|
|Fewer than the expected number of complaints to state regulators|