The fourth-largest home insurer in the U.S., Liberty Mutual offers solid coverage and discount options that will meet the needs of many homeowners. The company’s website and mobile app make managing your policy easy, though agents are also available if you want more personal service. Liberty Mutual home insurance is sold across the country.
Liberty Mutual home insurance pros and cons
|Available in all 50 states and Washington, D.C.||Relatively few extra coverage options.|
|A variety of discounts can help you save.|
|Robust website and app.|
How Liberty Mutual home insurance rates
Liberty Mutual homeowners insurance earned 4 out of 5 stars for overall performance. NerdWallet’s ratings are determined by our editorial team. The homeowners insurance scoring formula takes into account policy coverage options and discounts, ease of filing a claim, website transparency, the financial strength of the company, complaint data from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners and more.
Liberty Mutual home insurance state availability
Liberty Mutual home insurance policies are available in all 50 states and Washington, D.C.
Liberty Mutual home insurance coverage
You can customize your homeowners policy with numerous add-ons, but below are the types of coverage that generally come standard:
|Type of coverage||What it does|
|Dwelling||Pays to repair or rebuild the structure of your home.|
|Other structures||Covers damage to unattached structures such as a shed or fence.|
|Personal property||Pays to repair or replace personal belongings such as furniture or clothing.|
|Additional living expenses||Pays for hotel stays, restaurant meals or other expenses if you have to live elsewhere while your home undergoes covered repairs.|
|Liability||Covers legal expenses and damages if you're responsible for injuries to other people or their property.|
|Medical payments||Covers injuries to guests in your home, regardless of fault.|
For more details, see Homeowners Insurance: What It Is and What It Covers.
You can add other types of coverage onto a standard Liberty Mutual homeowners policy, including:
- Identity theft insurance, which pays for legal expenses and provides a counselor if you’re a victim of identity theft.
- Blanket jewelry coverage, which pays out if your jewelry is lost or stolen, with no deductible or appraisal.
- Inflation protection, which entitles you to a premium discount and involves regular adjustment of your coverage limits at renewal time.
- Replacement cost coverage, which pays to buy brand-new replacements for belongings stolen or destroyed in a disaster (as opposed to “actual cash value” coverage, which offers less money for items you’ve had a while).
- Escape of water coverage, which pays for damage due to backup or overflow from sewers, drains and sump pump wells.
Liberty Mutual home insurance discounts
Depending on your state, you may qualify for home insurance discounts for:
- Bundling home and auto coverage.
- No claims with your previous insurer for five years.
- No claims with Liberty Mutual for three years.
- Insuring a home that’s newly purchased, newly built or recently renovated.
- Having a new roof.
- Getting a Liberty Mutual quote before your policy with another carrier expires.
- Insuring the full cost to replace your home.
- Enrolling in autopay for your premiums.
- Signing up for paperless billing.
Liberty Mutual home insurance consumer complaints
Liberty Mutual received about the expected number of home insurance complaints to state regulators relative to its size, according to three years’ worth of data from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners. (NAIC home insurance complaints also cover other home policy types, including mobile home, renters and condo insurance.)
Liberty Mutual home insurance consumer experience
Website: You can do a lot on the Liberty Mutual site, including getting a quote, filing and tracking claims, paying your bill and learning about insurance basics. But if you’d rather speak with an agent, you can enter your ZIP code on the home page and find someone near you.
App: Available for both iOS and Android, the Liberty Mutual app enables you to sign documents electronically, pay bills, file claims, sign up for autopay and check policy information.
Homeowners insurance buying guide
You can get home insurance quotes online, over the phone or through an agent. But before you start, take the following steps:
- Determine how much coverage you need. Is a standard policy sufficient, or do you want to add extra insurance for situations like identity theft or sewer backups? Check whether each company you’re considering has the options you need.
- Take inventory. To ensure you have sufficient personal property coverage, take stock of your belongings. Include all furniture, electronic devices, clothing, jewelry and household items. How much would it cost you to replace them? This total is the minimum amount of personal property insurance you should have.
- Make a fair comparison. When evaluating rates, make sure each insurer is offering the same limits and deductibles.
- Check consumer complaints. Although it may seem tempting simply to choose the cheapest option, look at how many consumer complaints each insurer has before choosing a policy. Poor customer service could have a significant impact on your experience if you ever need to file a claim.
Liberty Mutual home insurance FAQ
Does Liberty Mutual insure mobile homes?
Liberty Mutual offers mobile home insurance through Assurant, a partner company. For more options, see NerdWallet’s guide to manufactured and mobile home insurance.
What other insurance does Liberty Mutual offer?
Liberty Mutual sells a wide variety of insurance policies, including auto, renters, boat, umbrella and life insurance. Learn more with our Liberty Mutual auto insurance review.
Does Liberty Mutual homeowners insurance cover mold?
In most states, Liberty Mutual provides $5,000 worth of coverage for mold. Depending on where you live, you may be able to raise that limit.
Does Liberty Mutual homeowners insurance cover termite damage?
No, termite damage isn’t covered by a Liberty Mutual home insurance policy, nor can you buy any endorsements to add the coverage.
Homeowners insurance ratings methodologyNerdWallet’s homeowners insurance ratings reward companies for customer-first features and practices. Ratings are based on weighted averages of scores in several categories, including financial strength, consumer complaints, coverages, discounts, online experience and more. These ratings are a guide, but we encourage you to shop around and compare several insurance quotes to find the best rate for you. NerdWallet does not receive compensation for any reviews. Read our editorial guidelines.
Insurer complaints methodology
NerdWallet examined complaints received by state insurance regulators and reported to the National Association of Insurance Commissioners in 2018-2020. To assess how insurers compare to one another, the NAIC calculates a complaint index each year for each subsidiary, measuring its share of total complaints relative to its size, or share of total premiums in the industry. To evaluate a company’s complaint history, NerdWallet calculated a similar index for each insurer, weighted by market shares of each subsidiary, over the three-year period. Ratios are determined separately for auto, home (including renters and condo) and life insurance.