What to Do After a Home Insurance Non-Renewal

If your home insurance company has deemed your home too risky to insure, you still have options.
Ben Moore
By Ben Moore 
Edited by Caitlin Constantine

Many or all of the products featured here are from our partners who compensate us. This influences which products we write about and where and how the product appears on a page. However, this does not influence our evaluations. Our opinions are our own. Here is a list of our partners and here's how we make money.

MORE LIKE THISHomeowners Insurance

Homeowners insurance non-renewals are on the rise as private insurers steer clear of locations at high risk for natural disasters. Blazing wildfires are leaving many homeowners scrambling to find coverage in Western states, while some Floridians are facing non-renewals during hurricane season.

Amid changing climate conditions and increasing weather-related catastrophes, having insurance coverage for your home can offer crucial peace of mind.

Here’s what to know about a homeowners insurance non-renewal.

The difference between cancellation and non-renewal

Having your insurance policy canceled is not the same thing as non-renewal. Insurance companies can’t cancel a policy that is older than 60 days unless you don’t pay your bill, or they discover fraud or inaccuracies on your application.

Non-renewal is when you or the insurance company decides not to renew the policy when it expires. Insurers typically must give you at least 30 to 60 days’ notice if they decide not to renew your policy. 

You might receive a non-renewal notice if:

  • You fail a home inspection.

  • You live in a high-risk area for wildfires, hurricanes or other natural disasters.

  • Your insurer no longer sells that type of insurance.

  • You committed fraud on your application.

How to get homeowners insurance after a non-renewal

If you receive a non-renewal notice, you still have options. Here are some steps you can take if your homeowners insurance isn’t renewed.

Make home improvements

If your policy isn’t renewed because of a failed inspection, making the proper updates could help you maintain coverage, even if you’re in a high-risk area.

Inspections give homeowners the opportunity to fix problems, like leaky roofs or exposed electrical wiring, so they can keep an insurance policy.

When making improvements, consider upgrading your home’s building materials. Newer materials may withstand weather catastrophes better than older ones while simultaneously lowering your insurance costs.

Building upgrades could include:

  • Replacing walls with ignition-resistant materials like stucco or fiber-cement siding to mitigate fire damage.

  • Switching to impact-resistant shingles to prevent roof damage.

  • Installing hurricane-resistant windows if you live on the coast.

Shop around for another policy

Your previous insurer may not be an option, but you should still shop around. 

An independent insurance agent can research home insurance quotes for companies in your area. You can also ask your real estate agent, mortgage lender, homebuilder or previous owner for a list of companies, or you can call your state’s insurance department.

Turn to your state’s shared market option

If you still can’t find coverage, you may need a state-run shared market policy. Many states offer Fair Access to Insurance Requirements policies for high-risk homes, or beach and windstorm plans for coastal properties. Aptly named “last-resort” policies, FAIR policies offer limited coverage and are often more expensive than a standard home policy from a private insurer.

Below are a couple of examples.

California’s FAIR Plan

The California FAIR Plan sells insurance for damage from fire, lightning, internal explosions and smoke, with optional coverage available at an additional cost. 

These policies don’t cover everything standard homeowners insurance policies do, like personal liability, your belongings or additional living expenses. For more extensive coverage, homeowners in California should purchase a “difference in conditions” policy that complements FAIR Plan coverage.

Florida’s state-run insurer

Citizens Property Insurance is Florida’s insurer of last resort. It offers coverage similar to that of private insurers, including dwelling, personal property, other structures and additional living expense coverage, although limits may be lower. In some areas, the company also sells wind-only policies that cover damage from hurricanes and other wind-related catastrophes. Policies are available only through an independent agent.

Consider surplus lines

If you’ve exhausted all other options, surplus lines insurance may be available. Provided by specialized insurers that are regulated differently from standard companies, surplus lines offer coverage for risky properties when other insurers won’t. Available companies may vary by state, so speak with an insurance agent about surplus lines once you’ve gotten rejections from at least three other insurers.

Get more smart money moves – straight to your inbox
Sign up and we’ll send you Nerdy articles about the money topics that matter most to you along with other ways to help you get more from your money.